WindowsXP hangs at startup because my DSL is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

provoko

Baseband Member
WindowsXP hangs at startup because my DSL is plugged in *SOLVED*

Here's a tricky one. Becaues I have DSL plugged in, my windows xp pro sp1 hangs when windows starts; I can't go into my computer or open explorer for about a minute and then every thing goes back to normal.

When I leave my DLS UNplugged, everything starts up normally.

My brother up stairs has the same problem even though he has windows home sp1. All my friends that have DSL have this problem. I've had DSL from two different providers in the past 3 years and I really never did anything about it because I just lived with it, until now. =) Now I'm just tired of plugging and unplugging, god.

I have no scanners or printers attached and I'm not networked with anyone, and I've always had this problem on my Pentium Intel chipset computer and still on my AMD nforce chipset computer; even with updated bios and chipset drivers even for the network card.

Can anyone figure this out? You guys are the best. =)

EDIT! PROBLEM SOLVED:

The solution below stoped that hanging I was experiencing during windows startup:

start/control panel/network connections/right click Local Area Connection/properties

Click on internet protocol then properties.
Dot "Use the following IP address" and put in 192.168.1.10 for IP and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.

This solution came from dslreports.com, here is the link:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/718

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. =) I'm so happy that I don't have to live with plugging and unplugging dsl everytime I restart windows! =)

sounds like something may be starting with windows that is taking up all the PC/network resources..then after it does what it does you're ready to go. I would go under START>RUN>MSCONFIG and then go to startup..then do disable all and reboot the machine...If the problem is gone you know something at startup is conflicting in someway...that would be a starting point.

I wish it were that simple. It's not any start up items. My boot up is clean. In fact I could reformat my computer right now and still get that problem. After 3 years, and two computers, I've done just that and there's no difference with how windows xp acts like, at start up, when a DSL is plugged in. =)

HoLoCroN said:
I see you tried updating to SP1, have you tried updating your NIC drivers? Ya never know!

Yeah, I said that. This isn't a result of updating to sp1. Like I said, this problem has presisted over 3 years, over two different computers and two different DSL ISPs all under windows xp pro sp1.

I would have thought that since my motherboard is 4 years more advanced than my old one that the network capabilities embedded in the nforce2 technology would prevent something like this from happening, so now I can only assume that this is a bug in windows xp and not any network card.

I don't think it's a pro/home problem because my brother has the same problem and he has home edition. Also it isn't an sp1 problem because my computer hangs under non-sp1. I never had this problem under windows ME, so that narrows it down to a Windows XP problem.

The solution must be some network setting, windows patch, or some bootup (non-startup item) option conflicting with network settings. It can't be anything else.

Thanks to everyone who has tried solving it. =)

I've got the same problem you do and the only thing I know is that it has to do with MSN messenger. If I disable it at startup the problem goes away. It is a pain in the butt for sure.

Windows has that problem with some usb devices. The key is to plug it in after windows has booted then install the drivers.

I've destroyed msmsgs a long time ago. =)

I could try uninstalling my chipset drivers and then following mdshort's suggestion.

Does anyone have any other suggestion or something more concrete before I do that?

Thanks.

The solution below stoped that hanging I was experiencing during windows startup:

start/control panel/network connections/right click Local Area Connection/properties

Click on internet protocol then properties.
Dot "Use the following IP address" and put in 192.168.1.10 for IP and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.

This solution came from dslreports.com, here is the link:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/718

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. =) I'm so happy that I don't have to live with plugging and unplugging dsl everytime I restart windows! =)

I'm sorry I may not have been clear when I answered you question, you only need to plug it in after windows starts once, then install the drivers, then you can leave it in.

We were all oblivious to your Connection Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom