Did I fry something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I am wondering if I fried something trying to OC.

It seems as though I cannot even pass a post with a mild OC. anymore.

Everthing works fine with no OC but when I try to OC I don't get very far.

I even tried the stupid AI Booster that came with my mobo and setting it to 10% I can't get through a restart.
When I first put this thing together I used the AI Booster with no problem. So this leads me to believe I f*@*ed something up doing a manual OC? and now not even the AI program will work.

Is there any way to tell if I crippled something? When an OC goes wrong is this what happens, or do things not work at all? Cuz, my system works fine and is cool when not trying to OC.
Is there any thing to physically look for (charred parts etc) lol

Or could it be the lame PSU I have (see below).

I have:
ASUS A8N-E
Athlon 3800+X2
2-Corsair CMX1024-3200C2
Antec smart power 450

CPU temp= 30C
Mobo temp= 24C

What can I do? I fu$@* suck at this. I try to follow OC guides but none seem to use the same mobo settings etc.

Thanks for any help

Fried?

psp_crazy1

So You do not think a partial fry/ccrippling is possible? of my ram/ cpu or mobo?

I am going to run memtest and see how things go?

All my voltages from my PSU appear fine??? but this is my second "Smart"power 450 so I don't trust it all that much?

Thanks for the reply

Computer hardware acts in very strange ways sometimes, sometimes it will act like it is failing, or something else could be a cause of the problem. Have you tried to clear your CMOS? Could be possible that you set something to high and your program can't change it back down or something. Try resetting that, if not find out the voltages on your 12v rail at idle and load conditions. If there are huge changes in that or just at idle then you may want to try a different PSU.

charles_scott,

Thanks for the reply.

In looking at my voltages, do I want to look at the vcore voltages, 12v or both?

When I run a virus scan the vcore fluctuates from
1.344 to 1.36 and also running adaware it jumps around to 1.376 and 1.328 but always stabilizes at 1.36

the 12volt stays pretty much at 12.224v.

I suppose I should try resetting my CMOS. This will not effect my windows installation right?

Is there any way to test to see if my CPU is damaged. In my manual OC'ing I may have set the Vcore to high trying to get past post.

Thanks again.

Try to reset the CMOS, the little jumper, make sure it's back in its original position before powering back up. And it shouldn't affect your installation.

Resetting CMOS no help

I reset my CMOS and then tried to use the AIBosster @10% and then tried a restart.

I could not make it past the post!?

I use this as a test because when I first started learning about oc'ing I used this AI tool and it would have no problems at 10%.

I ran Memtest last night for 5 passes on each ram stick and had no errors.

All my capacitors are in tact, some do not look as clean or as flat as others but none are blown or noticeably over buldging.

Are there any tests I can do for my PSU?

And,

If I set the Vcore to high while manually OC'ing would it be one way or the other as far as damage? I.E. would my CPU be either totally nonoperable or totally fine?

Or could I have simply done some partial damage?

Would there be any physical visual damage to the CPU that I could inspect?

Thanks for any help.

charles_scott & psp_crazy1

Thanks again for the replies/ suggestions.

I removed my CPU and cleaned everything and put on some new thermal paste. I also removed my Sbridge heatsink and it was a mess underneath..

This did not solve my Posting problem but everthing is running noticeably cooler.

I did update my chipset and bios and that seemed to solvve it! I can now pass a post while OC'ed!

I am stoked.

Now I am going to go ahead and get a Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon mostly for a more silence but also to enable some decent OC'ing.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom