Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
zmatt said:
if you mean can you install on a clean harddrive? yes. it can also upgrade from XP.

Wrong. For the final release they have changed it. You can not upgrade like this anymore. One last chagne before they release it to the public.

http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139603

You now have to have a fully installed and legit XP before you can upgrade. They are fighting hard against piracy.:)

Microsoft Closes Vista Upgrade Loophole

Many computer users prefer to install their operating system "clean" by simply using their old Windows disc to verify they own a copy of the software. However, that appears to no longer be possible using an Upgrade version of Windows Vista.

The Redmond company has apparently taken out the option to do so from upgrade versions of its new operating system, meaning a user would need to purchase a full copy of the OS in order to perform a clean installation. Upgrade discs would only work if a copy of either Windows 2000 or XP is already on the system.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Closes_Vista_Upgrade_Loophole/1170101894

What's the difference between an upgrade version of windows vista and an oem version of windows vista? For example i want to buy windows vista home premium and my local computer sore is selling the OEM version 64-bit, for $114.95, and i was going to get it, but I saw the upgrade version at bestbuy for $160, so my question is what is the difference? and which one should i get?

Upgrade means that you can't do a clean install as Warez mentioned.

OEM means that it's the normal version without the fancy box. Just the disc and the key.

talldude123 said:
Upgrade means that you can't do a clean install as Warez mentioned.

OEM means that it's the normal version without the fancy box. Just the disc and the key.

so the OEM version is better and cheaper? Also what are the advantages of the 64 bit edition versus the 32 bit edition?

The OEM just doesn't have a box. Same thing as Retail.

I don't see any advantages about 64-bit, except for it's the "new" thing. 32-bit is still supported, there is only a few things that support 64-bit Windows. Your processor also has to support 64-bit, which it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom