CPU Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateg1190

Solid State Member
I recently just purchased the arctic silver 5 compound, Then I take off my heat sink and apply the compound to the heatspreader. I applyed a straight line in the middle like the manual told me to. Then when i turn my computer on everything is fine except one problem. Before i did any of this i had my cpu oc'ed to 2.6ghz, now i can't even keep it stable at 2.18. I oced my cpu to 2.18ghz (311mhz), it loads up fine and everything , when i play FEAR or even download anything my pc crashes and everything locks up. So i have to put my cpu back to stock which is 1.86ghz (266mhz). So now i completely regret messing with anything. Now can anyone please help me out here and tell me what may be the problem.

Thank You

Yes I used something called GoofOff and used a Q-tip to wipe off all the old paste off.

did you unplug the fan and forget to reconnect it? did you follow the instructions exactly? i reccomend cleaning it off, using a plastic bag or something over your hand to rub AS5 onto the surface of the heatsink. don't coat it, just spread it so that it fills the gaps in the surface of the heatsink and makes it look somewhat dull. be sure to wipe away all excess. then put a tiny amount on the centre of the processor's IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader, in other words the top of the processor), maybe the size of half a grain to a grain of rice. then be absolutely certain of how you remount the heatsink.

Well i tried thhat and it doesn't make a difference. So i might just wait a week and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom