Thermaltake's new PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
augest said:
Currently I have as listed.
3 Sony DVD R/RW Burners Rom's,
1 Sony Floppy drive.
Evga 680I Mother board.
4 one gig stick's of Corsair XMS2 DRR2 800 ram.
C2D 6700.
Creative X-FI (FPS) Sound card.
2 XFX 8800 GTX.

Right now I only have one 300 GB WD hard drive but I ordered two 150 GB Raptor's the other day, Should be here by Tuesday I hope.

1. Also, I plan on adding the other 4 gig's of ram to make 8, Just I don't want the G. Skill 2 gig stick's. I'd like Corsair so I'll wait.
2. I also want to add another 8800 Gtx down the line, Or maybe even the R600's but with them not going to be released till around the end of the year I doubt I will.
Also bigger hard drive's when they come out for shure.
I have a Zelman 9500 on the C2D, An wow I didn't think they'd be that big.
I have 3 neon red 120 MM case fan's, Thinkin bout another one on top of the case too? Just don't know how my temp's are going to run yet, So far they are very cool but can't run a load yet. The fan's I put in them are 78 CFM so it work's so far.
I also have a 12 inch red Meteor light in there, An plan to add another on the other side of the case.

3. I know I need at least a 850 watt cause this 750 I am using will shut off randomly when I do something that uses alot of power, Like a demanding game that make's the computer work. So I'm kind of at a benchmark here an very limited.

4. I don't wanna spend 500$ on that power supply till I see how TT's are going to rate in price.
I like TT my old 600 watt power supply has lasted for a long time. An this 750 watt is good to! I tried it in another one of my pc's an no problem's at all. Just it don't seem enough. I would think 850 would be enough! With some head room. But I don't think it will down the road4. if I add a Quad CPU, Another 8800 GTX, An hard drive's.

Ofmg, where do I start. (Tri would pop a vien if he saw this)
1. You Don't need any where near 8 GB's of Memory. 4 is more than Enough. 4 GB's Will be more than enough memory for some years to come.
2. Um Last time I checked you Can't have 3 Videos cards in Sli, only 2, or 4. (Quad Sli) And furthermore Sli or crossfire is way way way overkill for many many games. You don't need To add more cards. Why would you change videos cards to ATI's R600, that, again is overkill and a waste of money since the cards you have now are completly overkill especially in Sli. So what, youd add a r600 or two and do what with the Nvidia ones. Wastefull comes to mind.

3. That doesn't mean its not enough wattage. TT's Are NOT the best in the quality department. You could be looking at an unstable PSU. Granted your rig is power hungry, but it should not cause that power supply to shut off. But since it does, and you seem insistent on buying at least an 850 Watt one, then Go with this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256007
Silverstone ST85ZF ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply
4. Why do you want to add a Quad Core CPu, the one you have now is PLENTY for A VERY LONG TIME.
More than 90% of all games and programs don't even utilize the second core in Dual core CPU's MUCH LESS 3 other cores in a quad core CPU. Already addressed the Video card issue.

The bottom line is overkill. I know you have money to blow, but holy **** you don't need any of that crap you want to upgrade too. I suggested a very good power supply to you and I sure hope you buy it. Please, dont just buy crap cause you can. This computer you have now will last along time and it will play everything fine.

Save all this money you have to spend and in 4-6 years build another killer machine.

:mad:

Hm well maybe it's a bad power supply but worked fine on the other pc's. I'll try taking a few thing's off an switching them around an see.
Could be something else faulty with it. But it acted like my old pc did of shutting off 5 or 6 time's in a row turning on.
I know how important head room is.

Thank's, I'll take a look at that power supply. But I did like the modular cabling. I love a clean nice looking case.

I know alot is over kill, But my last gaming rig I built I put a ton of money into as well an lasted me 4 year's, Now going on 5 that gave me awesome graphic's, Great speed done everything I could ask an more! But it's time to be retired, Which I'll strip for part's for other studio pc's, As I see fit.
I don't wanna get small stuff, With everything being top of the line one day an next it's old stuff out dated, I wanna get as far ahead of the game as I can so I can get a long amount of year's out of it.
I don't plan on going Quad for a long time, Or at least not in the first year.
I know 8 gig's is alot, An over kill. An like I said I don't plan on putting another 4 in yet.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't squander my money. But beside's my work of DJ-ing, Gaming has been my next big passion, In which I deem I can waste alittle money for myself too.
But I don't look at it at all a waste because in a year or two, My rig which is top of the line part's in it, Will be old news later.

When I built my other gaming rig a few year's back I joined a Tech forum to get help an idea's to get me on the right track an they too pushed me off because of my build idea's, Now 4 year's later it's old gear.

Sorry bout the 3 graphics card comment, I know two 8800's that I have will be enough for awhile an it's sick! I must say but I remember reading awhile back you could have three, Two to render the video etc an one just on the physics. Or along them line's.
I knew you could run 4 card's, But I never seen any good mother board's with 4 slot's??!!

Thank's for your time an help, I don't intend to come off as a show off or jackass, I just really want my PC to work out of this world, Be totally upgrade-able, An last me for awhile where I don't burn stuff out. With me spending a ton on my last one, I'm glad I did. I've only had to replace hard drive's, An video card's. Then here not to long ago a power supply for it.

I still think its a better idea to keep what you have now, save your money, and build another computer in 4-6 years. That will be the best of the best at that time. Without the woes of compatibility problems. (Its possible)

I guarantee my 580 Watt Hiper PSU, which is also modular, that I purchased from newegg would power that machine you've got there and then some. It's about the quality of the PSU, not how many watts it has. Watts means nothing if the thing was built to be really **** poor quality standards. Just get a higher quality PSU, not a crappy higher wattage one. As stated before a thousand times over, There is NO need WHATSOEVER, in ANY circumstance you could possibly think of with that machine you have to have over a 600 watt PSU. I wouldn't be surprised if next week I saw a thread on here asking how to tap directly into a telephone pole to get the full charge straight from the electric companies for god's sake. Also Ste is right, as it is, your system is overkill on every game out right now and you have the heads up on vista so just keep this one around for a while.

No I wont ask that question, Since I do that already. LOL I run a 400 amp 3 Phase distro for my DJ rig so yeah, I could do that if I wanted. Just would fry everything. (Not the smartest thing.)
Ok yeah I'll try my luck with a smaller PSU of maybe 600 watt's, I wanted to go with a Hiper PSU not to long ago when I just bought this new 750 Watt. But people here told me to go with a TT instead. I was alittle shocked but I had only good thing with TT so far so I went with it.

Thank's for your opinion's everyone.

augest said:
No I wont ask that question, Since I do that already. LOL I run a 400 amp 3 Phase distro for my DJ rig so yeah, I could do that if I wanted. Just would fry everything. (Not the smartest thing.)
Ok yeah I'll try my luck with a smaller PSU of maybe 600 watt's, I wanted to go with a Hiper PSU not to long ago when I just bought this new 750 Watt. But people here told me to go with a TT instead. I was alittle shocked but I had only good thing with TT so far so I went with it.

Thank's for your opinion's everyone.

If you want to go with TT and not the silverstone I suggested. Go with the 850 Watt tough Power as it is reguarded as "Good" from hard Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom