When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, security from harddrive failure anyway. Windows could still corrupt your filesystem, you could still get a virus that wipes the drives clean, etc.

fade2black2004 said:
dude raid 1 is where you back up everything automatically.

so if one drive fails, the second one has all the info on it, so you can just use your second hard drive.

its the safest you are going to get when it comes to security
do you have a raid 1 setup?

the only risk it says about raid is that if an error happens then it also happens on the other disk, but still its better then having to put EVERYTHING on a disk just put the very important **** on disk and keep the other **** backed up on the raid

i have had a couple raid setups before right now i have raid 0.
i used to keep up my server whitch had raid 1, then raid 5

I have decided now to raid. I am going for it as a new adventure. I do want to ask this question though. I went through the step of starting the raid in bios and then went through the setup where it finally said healthy raid. I am doing a mirror raid. Anyway I have done the stuff needed like os cd and pushing f6 to install raid drivers like needed. It is now installing the os. My question is do I need to initialize the discs after this is all done. This is a brand new machine with a brand new install.

If I ever decide to take off the raid array can it be done? Can I just shut off raid and use one of the hard drives as another hard drive? Also, if I decide to keep the raid can I partition it after the fact because I have done a raid without a partition?

If I raid 1 and want a partition, will the 2nd partition without the os still be mirrored? Will all of the hard drive be mirrored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom