of Hard drives and men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hello all, I once again come to you with a problem. Over the past few days I've been struggling with my computer a bit (partly due to a POS motherboard). Anyhow, the other day I returned from college to find that my computer had shut down in the middle of downloading something. I was perplexed and assumed it must have been a heat based thing. Checking temperatures (even during a Prime95 torture test) and they seem to be running fine, under 45 at all times, even under heavy load (25 - 30 on idle).

Last night my computer shut down once again. Now I'm wondering whether it could be the hard drive starting to go bad. I ran a windows disk check this morning which took about 40mins, but that threw up no errors.

So I ask you this, could a disk thats going bad cause a system to shut down (and bear in mind, the 'suspect' disk is indeed the drive that I run XP on) ? The reason for my suspicions that it is dying is the strange 'electrical clicking' sounds its been emitting lately, and the slightly louder than usual start up 'whir'.

Cheers.

Does sound like the HDD to me.

Back up everything thats of importance and then get a new HDD if i were you.

You don't want it to go pop and lose everything, that would be worst case scenario

EDIT, i like your topic title, assuming it was intended because of the story? :p

Either HDD or power supply getting too hot. Theoretically, that PSU should be fine, but this doesn't sound to be the case.

yes the title was intended to be slightly humourous (and a tribute to the book), HOWEVER - titles aside - I discovered in my tinkering yesterday that one of the ram modules was a tad loose (and not 'locked'), so that could have wobbled a bit and caused the shutdowns.

I've not noticed any problems over the past two days, but will continue to monitor for any suspicious activity.

Cheers my good folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom