2 SATA drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_malone_1234

Beta member
I have 2 SATA drives. A 500GB (WD) and a 100GB (Maxtor). The 500GB is my main drive (C:). For some reason, whenever I plug in the 100GB drive and start up my computer it ALWAYS tries to boot from that one (100GB) first and I get a message "The BIOS does not be installed".

My BIOS does not have the option of selecting an SATA drive in the boot order. My boot order is currently 1. SCSI 2. CD-ROM 3. C:. I tried putting C: first in the boot order, but when I did that the computer would give me the same error "The BIOS does not be installed".

I have the Aopen AK86-L motherboard if that helps. What would ya'll recommend?

1. Open up the computer and set up the 100GB as a slave.

2. Go into the BIOS and set the computer to only boot from the 500GB Windows Drive.

With the SATA drives I've worked with, there's no jumper setting in order to choose master/slave. make sure that the 500GB drive is plugged into the SATA1, and the 100 is plugged into the SATA2 on the board.(that's what my board has, I'm sure that some have SATA0 and SATA1.

talldude123 said:
1. Open up the computer and set up the 100GB as a slave.

2. Go into the BIOS and set the computer to only boot from the 500GB Windows Drive.

You can not set up SATA drives in a master/slave configuration.
As far as your problem I would go with what denton said. (making sure the 500 gig in on SATA 1)

You should be able to hit control F upon boot up and set the boot disk in fast build setup.

Ok. As people have said, there is no way to set master/slave configurations with the jumpers. SATA doesn't use jumpers.

Secondly, my BIOS does not have the option of setting which drive to boot from first. Not an SATA drive anyway. It will give me the choice of: a:, c:, CD-ROM, SCSI, and I think that is all.

So here is the weird part. I flashed the BIOS to make sure I had the latest version, re-installed the SATA drivers just to be certain. Everything started working fine so I figured...I maust have fixed the problem. Well today, in the middle of doing absolutely nothing, all of a sudden my computer locks up. I reset it, and when it boots up (I have already reset it several times since both of my drives have been working) it says the same thing all over again. The BIOS does not be installed. Why is it switching the boot drive arbitrarily to the other drive in the middle of day without any reason? It just dosen't make sense. Oh, and I have the drive that I want as the main drive on Channel 0, and the other smaller drive on Channel 1, so the way I see it, it should always boot from the bigger drive on channel 0. But that obviously isn't the case. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom