BSOD on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Build for a friend gone wrong, muahahahaha...

Raidmax Case w/420 PSU
P4 3.2 prescott chip w/zalman heatsink/fan
Biostar P4M80-M4 mobo
1, 1gig stick G-Skill DDR
Western Digital 200gig caviar HDD
Samsung DVD/CD burner

Problem is such that not even the BIOS posts, but the PSU kicks on, all the case fans kick on and the Zalman HSF kicks on, but no video and the on/off switch on the case is useless, the thing powers up with the PSU switch alone and does not respond to inputs from the front panel button.

Also, no video from the onboard video, or a 6200 video installed, no beeps either.

All front panel jacks are setup correctly, both the 20 pin is in place and the additional 4 pin. The DDR has been reseated twice. The CMOS has been cleared.

List the cooling setup and heatsink.

Dissconnect all components except CPU, Video card and One Stick of RAM. Clear the CMOS by removing the small coin like battery for Two Minutes. Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a hard non-conductive surface.

Turn it on and if it POSTs, Shut down, put it back in the case, add one component and repeat the process until it no longer boots. The Component that was added last most likely caused the Non-POST and should be RMAed and or Replaced.

Report Back.

Um, that's alright, I'll take everything off except the vitals, but taking the mobo out of the case and booting has me worried, sure I have antistatic bags and a non conductive surface, but I know that the standoffs are all in their proper place and there's no short between the mobo and the case.

I'll report back tonight, gotta nice interview today to prepare for...

Thanks

ohGrFreak said:
Um, that's alright, I'll take everything off except the vitals, but taking the mobo out of the case and booting has me worried, sure I have antistatic bags and a non conductive surface, but I know that the standoffs are all in their proper place and there's no short between the mobo and the case.

I'll report back tonight, gotta nice interview today to prepare for...

Thanks

Thats not an option. We do this to determine if the motherboard is grounding out on something in the case. Ive done it many times with no Problems.

Do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom