Dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0rga

Baseband Member
I'm stuck between buying a E6300 and a E6600. I would prefer a E6420 but they aren't supposed to be released till Q2 and i have been waiting since november for this build. I would appreciate comments on what you think would be the better choice.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 :

Pros:
Great OCablity
Cheap
65 nm Process

Cons:
Only 2mb cache

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 :

Pros:
4 MB cache
Faster Clock Speeds

Cons:
Very Expensive - £80 more expensive than the E6300

E6600 is obviously the better choice. The 4MB cache is what it is all about, and has served to be about the mid-range of the E6xxx line. However, the E6300 will suit you depending on what you plan on doing with your machine.

QUOTED FROM ANOTHER THREAD POSTED BY ME:

well ... my A+ teacher made a valid point.. l2 cache looks at what you are doing and predicts what you are going to need next. Now 99% of the time its right and speeds up the system but somtimes it can be wrong so it has to flush it all out and then reload it..

so if you have 2mb it loads less but if it messes up it will have to load less... now 4mb it loads double compared to 2mb so if it messes up it will have to reload it and it would take more time..

i say get the 6300 now.... you can upgrade when the time comes... but if you want and have the money now... go ahead get the 6600 but you can oc the 6300 to crazzzyyy speedzzz

It's a gaming PC which i hope will last a few years. I can afford a E6600 it's just that i'm not sure the higher clock and larger cache is worth the extra £80. The cost of my system is already getting steep and i don't want to spend vast amounts of money.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to OCing does anyone no any good sites i could read for advice? Also with the money saved if i go for the 6300, should i buy a good after market fan?

well hit up tf's own ocing section some good links there.. and its not that hard to do .. but to get it perfect that takes some skill....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom