Time for a new PC, but alittle confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbzj14

Beta member
Alright well it is finally time to ditch my 1.8ghz HP laptop for a new Desktop PC. I am alittle confused about what kind of processor to get. I want to be able to handle very big intensive video files, as well as video games and image editing programs.

I know the Intel 2 Duo and the Pentium 4 are different, but which one is more powerful? I would want both processors to be around 3.4ghz, with that said which one would be the better buy?

Any suggestions would be cool. Thanks.

pentium generation is out!! even though they got lower clock spped, core 2 is faster, but if u really want 3.4 ghz, overclock it! clock speeds don't matter much anymore! the core 2 duo is like amd processors, the clock spped sort of fools u!!!

as above, and why does it "have" to be 3.4ghz? thats silly, as the chap said above even though core2 duo isnt that high its still blistering fast and will handle anything you throw at it, heck even my AMD 4200 x2 at 2.2ghz does everything i want including high end games

I was just thinking 3.4 because my 1.8 amd processor really stresses over flash made sites(spiderman 3, transformers), and when I play some games. It isnt that powerful, so I was just trying to aim for a bigger processor.

So you guys are saying that duo2core is the way to go?

What is the difference between the Intel Core 2 Duo and the Intel Pentium D Dual core?

were u asking b/c of games that require 3.0 ghz or better or something? like halo 2 when it comes out this year?

Yeah like that, i didnt want to get a 2.2 if i needed 3.0. But i didnt know if these core2duo's could perform just as good as a 3.0.

dbzj14, CPU's doesn't necessarily have increase in clock speed to increase in its performance. This was explained above. The Core 2 Duo's will complete a lot more instructions per clock cycle, therefore being a lot faster even though it has a lower clock speed than say the 3.0Ghz Pentium 4.
A Core 2 Duo at 2.2Ghz can most likely be overclocked to 3.0Ghz or more which would make them even faster again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom