Anybody know of something like this ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Magoo

Beta member
Does anybody know of any software on the market that would allow mulitple users to have their own desktop ? Where you could actually log on to the pc and have their own settings? Like if your a IT Administrator and you want to have full admin rights on your desktop without having to log off a normal user? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. Lets say you have a pc locked down to normal users, but you want to switch to an Admin log on.???

You might consider looking into PowerPro, its a utility program that allows pc users to run a VIRTUAL DESKTOP, which is exacly what you are looking for to have multiple desktops. There are other programs that do the same thing try a google search for virtual desktop
this is a link to powerpro...
PowerPro

maybe i'm not understanding your right, but what you want sounds like what winXP can do. it offers fast user switching and pretty much all versions of windows allowed custom desktops for each user account. and win2k and winXP allow you to just "run as user" so you can run a program as an admin by supplying a user/pass while logged in with another windows account

I know the functionality of both W2K and XP. Ok let me say it this way, I have pc's at work that are locked down through the MMC. So users can't change desktop settings or configure programs or have access to certain drives. So what I'm looking to do is have a way to switch between users and have administrative access to the pc without having to log off the " normal user". I hope that clears things up..

Make a user-account for them, and let them use Remote Desktop to connect and log in as the newly created user.

If you have an admin user, you have the ability to lock limited accounts out of certain media's.

There is a market for this, its called a "dedicated server", in which the admin gives the user basic rights to use and install programs (including server software.) This service can however be extremily expensive.

Excuse me?

I don't mean to be mean, but we've answered your question. There may be a linux solution, but I would'nt know what it would be. If you don't feel like listening to us, you can use google to try to find your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom