No POST, No Video Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

denton_12

Solid State Member
Ok guys, I put together this computer today and it's been driving me nuts.

Here is the current setup

Intel Pentium 4 631 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800MHz FSB / Hyper-Threading / OEM / Socket 775 / Cedar Mill / Processor

2 x 120mm fans
Masscool heatsink and 80mm fan for processor

A-Data Dual Channel 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2 x 1024MB)

PNY Verto GeForce 5200 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / Dual VGA / TV Out / Video Card

MachSpeed X-Caliber PT88BS Pro Via Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / AGP 8x/4x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

320GB SATA Segate Barracude HD

NEC DVD-RW burner (IDE)

That's the basic hardware setup, I have a 500w power supply so I know that everything is getting the power it needs. When I turn on the machine, the fans spin, and the HD spins, ( only know this because after some time I can feel the heat from it, it's a very quiet drive :))

other than fans spinning, I get nothing, no video output, no error beeps, no video out so I can't enter the CMOS to change any settings.

I've reseated the Vid card and swapped it with one I know works
I've unplugged everything but the motherboard, and processor, still no error beeps

I've reseated the memory, still nothing, I'm about to give up...

There is one idea I've come across... the motherboard is compatible with the P4 Prescott processor, in my carelessness I purchased a Cedar Mill processor, are these processors backwards compatible or is this my problem, and if they're not B/C then why am I not getting a processor failure beep.

Another possibily I just thought of is... is it possible for my BIOS to be completely empty?

The northbridge on my motherboard is VIA PT800 Pro

Someone help me before I lose my mind .... please

Relax take a deep breth someone will surely assist you in this matter shortly, but from what I know in intel, you wither have a motherboard that doesn't support that chip of yours, or you didn't connect all the wires, there is a fan wire, 20 or 24 pin connector, and an extra 4 pin connecter that is connected into the motherboard. A buddy of my'n had this sort of problem few days ago, he just didn't have the four pin connector pluged in, I sat there laughing for 10 minutes. Good luck dude!

I've reseated both connections on the motherboard, both the 4 and the 24 pin connectors, no change in opperation.

I've figured it out, the board supports up to a 1MB cache on the processor, the 631/800 P4 has a 2MB cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom