7 Mins. To Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should definitely upgrade your ram to at least 512MB for smooth performance in Windows XP. How you survived this long using Windows XP with 128MB of ram is quite amazing. An alternative to upgradeing your ram would perhaps be to use Windows 2000 instead.:)

Well same things been happening to me , slow , long startups, but when i use a different user which has little programs to load on startup it's prettey quick. And never listin to microsoft. defragementing is allways good. U should also upgrade to watever ram u can afford as this does help alot.

No one suggested formatting? Defragging really never helped startup times for me. 128 megs of ram is a bit low.. go ahead and try the defragging, but I bet it's not going to help you that much. Afterwards, get ready to format. after the format it'll load a lot faster. I couldn't believe the difference after I formatted our old PII 450 with 128 megs of ram.

More RAM, more RAM, more RAM first. Then you can start thinking about doing all the other very good suggestions. At least 512.

Try clearing your "C:\Windows\Prefetch" folder. This folder contains information about what programs you frequently load, and loads information about them into memory at startup for faster access time later.

Well, what can i say........RAM works miracles!!! I bought a 512 MB stick (DDR333) and now my computer is as good as new. As soon as i turned it on, to the time i was on the internet, it took at the most, 1 maybe 2 minutes!!! Thanx for all you guys' help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom