Microsoft admits 1% false positives rate by WGA checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft recently published updated figures about their Windows Genuine Advantage protection that tries to hinder users of illegal versions of Microsoft Windows to update their system with some of the software that can be downloaded from the microsoft homepage. Software like the new Internet Explorer 7 or the Windows Media Player can only be downloaded after a successful WGA check. The download and installation will be denied if a check fails.

It was always known that there would be false positives and the new figures give us a clearer picture on the scale of the false positive rate. About 114 million systems failed the WGA check since the introduction of those checks and Microsoft admitted that 1% of those were false positives meaning that legit Windows systems failed the WGA check.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070124-8690.html

ROFL when will they learn, i do seem to remeber reading something from MS about illigal copies of there OS will still be allegable for updates as they reckon it was better to have patched OS's even if they are illegal then the next thing i knew WGA was out ?

one of my computers with a legit copy of MS WINXP HOME failed the check plenty of times and at one point on the user selection menu i had a message saying my copy of windows was not legit lol so did many of my friends pc's

they are full of ship. most retail computer flunked that wga thing because they were network installed with the same serial and then a new serial was placed on the side of the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom