which fan position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
My mom's computer is an old sony vaio, and the idle temps are pretty high. I thought I could lower the temp down a little, by using a spare 140mm fan, I have lying around. Theres no place to mount a fan, but I took the top off, and now the fan is sitting on top, as an intake. This case does not have any intake or exhaust. The only possible exhaust would be the power supply. So....sitting on top, should this fan be an intake or an exhaust? I was thinking an exhaust, because the fan is sitting on top, it could be like a blowhole, since heat rises. But I decided to go intake on top because, theres no intake at all.

hmm... normally if the fan is on top it should point up... but since ther isnt an inlet fan, u'r pretty much just drawing a vacuum as there is no way for fresh air to get in.

can you point the fan down in the front/top of the computer to leave room for air to escape from the back/top

basicly i would try and get the air to do a u turn inside the case and get exausted by the psu or continue up as naturally rising hot air

the only intakes there should be are in the front everything else should be exhaust. even if you dont have an intake the exhaust fans in the back will do a better job of pulling the air out then if you make 1 an intake.

Can you get the fan in the front of the case at all as an intake? Doing that and having the hole in the top of the case may discharge more hot air than any other way if it is possible on the case.....

Yea, I could probably tape it to the front. Thanks guys....for the suggestions.

i agree, if u can get it in the front w/good fresh air flow, do that... i though the top was the only option :)

OK, so it's in the front bottom now. I found it weird that the temps of the CPU, raised slightly higher, but the hard drive temps dropped. Another thing, is that ever since adding this fan, the CPU fan....I think...started reving up at random times. And it stays like that for a couple of minutes, then goes back down. It goes from the normal 1500-2000rpm to 4000+rpms. What is the cause of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom