Not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsko87

Daemon Poster
I have just finished building the computer in my sig and for some reason it won't turn on. First time I press the on button it didn't turn on. Second time it did, I got into the Bios and then it just turn off itself and I haven't been able to turn it on since. Pretty strange.

Checked all the power cables that go into the mobo and they seem to be fine, although from there is the main 24pin power plug which I have plugged in, but you disconnect 4 of its pins for some reason.
The motherboard has a 8pin 12v connector, but 4 pins are covered, so only one 4pin connector goes into it.
I'm really confused why it's not even turning on. I hope nothing is DOA.
Thanks for any help.

By the way the Asus light comes on the mobo when the power is plugged in.

have you plugged in the USB ports? if so unplug them also make sure the power button is the only one plugged into the pins and then try again.

and the ATX power cable your using is 20 pin correct? so your covering the last remaining 4 pins?

Ok I will try and unplug the USB.

No, its 24 pins on the ATX Power Cable but you can split 4 away from it . I think thats for if the mobo only uses a 20 pin ATX cable.

4 pins out of the +12v plug are covered.

Ok, well I took out the USB and it didnt do anything. Then after a few times it booted up and then when off again almost straight away.

Does my motherboard require an 8pin 12v+ connector instead of only 4. My PSU only has one 4pin 12v+ connector though.

That's my board, but not the WiFi version. Are you sure it only needs 4 pins?
I unconnected everything out except my RAM, CPU, Video Card and Mobo and nothing.
Triple checked the power, reset etc. connectors and they are fine.

This is getting really frustrating. I'm pretty sure my CPU and heatsink are seated properly. The Asus mobo blue light comes on indicating that its getting power, but it just wont boot and when it occasionally does it turns straight off. Im starting to think that one of the parts might be faulty.
Any other ideas?

hmm...a couple of possible ideas:

1. something is shorting out your board a brass riser in the wrong place etc.

2.its meant to do it have you left it alone for 30seconds to 2 mins to see if it kicks back in? some mobos have a new fail safe feature where it restarts and shuts down a lot my gigabyte did it, not sure if ASUS do it for their boards.

3.could try turning off the power and unplugging the power cord to reset the CMOS then connect it again after 30 seconds.

Disconnecting the power doesn't reset the CMOS.
Also, I read that on newer motherboards even removing the battery doesn't help, because it only powers the RTC; thus not required for saving CMOS settings.

Nup no luck. I reset the CMOS, but nothing.

I wouldn't think I have a brass riser in the wrong spot but I might pull it all apart and re-build it and see what happens.

Other than PSU or motherboard failure I don't know what else it could be. What else would stop it from booting?

there might also be issues with certain ram types, try removing 1 stick and mixing up dimm ports etc. Your ram might be v2.0 but the BIOS is set for 1.8 or something stupid so it wont boot.

I thought taking the power cable out of a pc reset the CMOS? same as removing the battery or putting jumpers on the pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom