Case Worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
As you may know, my school recently built a new, powerful computer for Admin use, and I was in on the building. They used this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154

This is a really great case, and at $120, that is about perfect for what I need at this time. However, I believe that I am going to be running into some problems.

The OCZ GameXStream PSU that I have has a huge 120mm fan at the top:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/dante_caligari/17-341-002-02.jpg

...and the case has the PSU tray at the bottom of the case enclosed in a cage. (Which I had to remove in school to get the Hiper PSU that we used to it):

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/dante_caligari/11-129-154-37.jpg

I am worried that the PSU will not be able to breathe with the chamber blocking the 120mm fan, and may cause problems. I am also worried that the other fan that is directly forward of the PSU tray may want to chomp on my PSU cables because there are alot of them I do not use. (This fan can be removed, but I would like to keep it there for airflow.) Do I have to choose a different case just because the PSU won't really fit, or not?

THe psu cage looks like it has holes on both the top and bottom, AND if you have a problem with extra power cables, tie 'em down or tape them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you already have experience with it then it shouldn't be a problem. There's always ways to mod the case to make it how you need it to be, be it removing the cage, moving the fan, it'll fit.

I really don't like the Antec P180, for a few reasons.

The main ones being that you have to have really long cables to do anything, there is not much space inside, and the door is crap.

I will giive it credit that it looks really nice, and is quiet, but that is the case with all antec cases.

I am beginning to think that this case just will not work for me. The case is nice and quiet, but there are just a few things (such as the aforementioned) that are drawing me away from this case.
Does anyone happen to have any other recommendations in that price range? I have had noisy computers my entire life, (one of the reasons why I was attracted to the P180 in the first place), and I kinda want a clear side panel. Recommendations?

I just bought an Antec NSK6500, and it is just as quiet as the P180, looks pretty much the same, but has a more standard interior layout.

Wow, not bad!

The only think I would say no to is the coloring. It is just way too space ship for me. That is one of the main reasons I like antec cases... they are plain looking.

The first Thermaltake case in your link is rather nice. Don't like the swinging side cooling fan holder personally. I suggested Antec because they are large cases (despite what the pictures suggest) and well constructed. Thermaltake is a very good company as well I am sure you will not be disappointed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom