Recommend a laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent gaming laptop? Minimally I want it to run WoW on the highest settings, while having a few other apps (FF, Trillian etc) in the background...

I've been looking for awhile now, and it seems to be in the $2,000 range for what I want... :mad: Thinking along the lines of 2GB memory (maybe not, I see many places jack the price $1500 for this...ahh!), 2GHz dual processor (either AMD or Intel), and a decent graphics card - the part that seems to be the limiting factor...

I wish I could drop $1-200 and not include Windows, sigh...I just want linux on this machine... :cool:

Any ideas/suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate 'em!

TIA!

You could check out AvaDirect, they're a smaller but very well rated computer builder. They build with ASUS and AMD barebones laptops just like companies like ABS, ibuypower, cyberpower, etc. do and appear to have very good support as indicated on resellerratings.com
Good prices and you can opt to have no OS or have them install one of a few different versions of Linux.
http://www.avadirect.com/Notebooks

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iBUYPOWER

iBuyPower looks scary, haha, but the price sure was right, but I guess that's just it...
1680*1050, 2GB PC5300, nVidia 7600 Go, 100GB hdd @ 7200 rpm ... $1,566.

Also, their website has no support documents, and a few specs missing from the laptop, that are fairly important:
-battery life (with pre-defined parts, as I suppose the 7200 drive might use a bit more then the 5400 etc)
-memory speed for the graphics
-weight (again with predefined parts)

Looking at Ava now...looks to be ~+$700 for the same specs, but will play around a bit...:)

Thanks for the links!

Most notebooks with a 15.4" screen and a good dedicated graphics card get 2-2.5 hrs of battery life and weight 6-7lbs depending on the model.
My notebook is an MSI 1039 (sold on Ava along with many similar ones) and it weighs 6lbs and has 2 hrs 15min of battery life with a dimmed screen. Hopefully this helps you a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom