Dual-Boot to Linux with two 160 GB Hd's, How do i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csw3190

In Runtime
I was looking to use one of my 160 WD Caviars to run Linux, and the other to run Windows XP (which i'm running now on one hd). The second hd is totally empty, nothing. How do i: a) format the second hd correctly, b) load the three portions of downloaded linux files, c) Boot into the chosen OS after the first two steps, d) not f*ck up my computer. I'm a noob at this stuff, any help would b greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance

csw3190 said:
I was looking to use one of my 160 WD Caviars to run Linux, and the other to run Windows XP (which i'm running now on one hd). The second hd is totally empty, nothing. How do i: a) format the second hd correctly, b) load the three portions of downloaded linux files, c) Boot into the chosen OS after the first two steps, d) not f*ck up my computer. I'm a noob at this stuff, any help would b greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance

What Linux distribution are you trying to install?

I know with Mandrake there is no need to format the HDD beforehand as the installation process will handle that for you. Also when you say "load the three portions".. what are you talking about? If you've downloaded the 3 ISO files, you need to extract those images onto a blank CD and use them for the installation.

If you have not done so, I would also make a restoration point in XP before proceeding.

Finally, before you install your Linux distro, make sure you have all your drivers handy.

I've downlaoded the red hat bersion in three parts (disc 1, 2, 3). So what you're saying is that i put the three on CD's? And...um...what is a restoration point? Sorry i'm a noob tho, and as for the drivers, is that so i reinstall them in linux or...what?

csw3190 said:
I've downlaoded the red hat bersion in three parts (disc 1, 2, 3). So what you're saying is that i put the three on CD's? And...um...what is a restoration point? Sorry i'm a noob tho, and as for the drivers, is that so i reinstall them in linux or...what?

csw3190 - it's cool if you're a noob and have to aska lot of questions - that's how we all learn man.

First I should mention that I am not a Linux expert at all - you should probably post in our linux forum here:

http://www.techist.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=97

I don't have a lot of time for this post as i have some things to do today. But i'll be brief and to the point.

When i said you should make a restoration point, i was suggesting you use the system restore feature of XP. Basically in a nutshell it backs up your registry and your system files so that you can always restore your PC to a prior good working condition. If for whatever reason your red hat installation doesn't go smoothly, it's nice to have that backup so you can revert to it. For instructions on how to make a restoration point, just press the F1 key or go to Start | Help and type in 'system restore' in the key work search field. Believe it or not, Windows has really good instructions for that sort of stuff built right into their help menu.

2nd: More than likely what you have downloaded are ISO images. Images are not like your typical files where you can use them right away. You need an extracting tool - if you have Nero 5.0 v, there is a built-in tool to do that. Once you've extracted the files from the images, you then burn them on to the CD-Rs for the actual installation.

3rd: A driver is a piece of software that enables your OS to properly communicate with your hardware. Example: your modem needs a driver to communicate w/ your OS. You should note that drivers are very OS specific. i.e. if you have a video card driver for your Win98 computer you cannot use it on a Win XP comptuer system - get it? So likewise, you cannot use that same driver on a red hat/linux system.

After you've made your restroation point, i would get all your red hat drivers. I would start by looking in the same place you got your red hat. If you cannot find the driver(s) there, check the manufcturer of the component. For my mandrake, I couldn't find my video card driver at mandrake.org - so i checked at www.nvidia.com to get the most current one.

Just rememeber to have fun man - this isn't brain surgery - just comptuers/hobby/ relaxing.... And even if you do screw up, there's nothing that can't be fixed one way or another. Especially if you make a restoration point - that should provide some added comfort. Good luck.

Red hat has a boot manger which means once installed on your empty HD, upon boot up you will be able to choose whether to boot from linux or windows, be extreamly careful when dealing with boot managers because they edit your Master Boot Record(files to start up winxp)
Your linux will have a recovery MBR for windows on the installation setup upon realizing that linux is no longer wanted.

alright guys thanks for the responses. I'll have a go @ it on monday since i'm outta town til then; i'll also b sure to put up a post after the (hopefully) successful installation. tiil then, take it easy

uh...ok, but how do you actually INSTALL the OS? I got all the files on CDs. Also, just for clarification, drivers are just hardware, correct?

csw3190 said:
sorry, typo, i meant that the drivers are FOR the hardware

csw3190, read my previous posting again -

3rd: A driver is a piece of software that enables your OS to properly communicate with your hardware. Example: your modem needs a driver to communicate w/ your OS. You should note that drivers are very OS specific. i.e. if you have a video card driver for your Win98 computer you cannot use it on a Win XP comptuer system - get it? So likewise, you cannot use that same driver on a red hat/linux system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom