Would Arctic Silver 5 do anything for gddr3 ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have my HIS x1800gto IceQ3 taken apart right now and am wondering if theres anything I can do to the memory chips to keep them cooler. What comes on it normally is a big copper piece with little pads between the copper and the mem chips. Now would putting artic silver 5 do anything? I have ram heatsinks but the copper seems like it would work better.

Heres what my cards heatsink looks like

Yes, AS5 makes everything cooler.

Look for Arctic Silver Creamique though, it is even better.

So then I should take the thermal pads off and put the artic silver 5 on?

The pads are really thick. Could this serve a purpose or is it just the way their made?

well, do they have to be think to bridge the gap between the cooler and the chip surface? if so, then AS5, being liquid, isnt really going to be of any use, unless you can make the cooler lower down.

you'll have to have a look.

I believe I can make the copper heatsink go down more by simply taking the pads off. But if I can't then I should just leave the pads there and not use the AS5 right?

Dexaroni said:
Yes, AS5 makes everything cooler.

Look for Arctic Silver Creamique though, it is even better.

AS Cremique does not transfer heat better, its advantage is that it hardens and can be used to keep heat sinks etc in place.

if you can fasten the heat sink down far enough to create intement contact between the ram modules and the heat sink, go ahead and remove them.

AS5 isnt made to bridge gaps, its for getting pressed between 2 surfaces.

Well I thought it would touch but it doesn't. But I already have the AS5 on.

Should I

1. Take the AS5 off and put the pads back on?

2. Leave the AS5 on and also put the pads back on???

3. Grind the risers down a little bit. It would only need about 0.75mm to have good contact.

put the pads on, u can put as5 between the pads and the copper and the pads and the chip. the pads dont conduct as well as the as5 or the copper but the as5 will make them work better because they will have a better seal with the chip and to the copper. it will prob get messy and kind of tricky, dont use too much of the stuff!

ps. use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean all the surfaces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom