Won't Recognize Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
This is a problem I've been having, but I'm just realizing that it's a bigger problem than I thought..

Ever since I built my computer, I've been having problems with HT. Sometimes when I boot up, it would be enabled, other times it wouldn't. I know that because sometimes "HT Enabled" wouldn't appear in my BIOS, and the Task Manager would only display one processor. While that bugged me, I wasn't OVERLY worried about it.

Then, I went into a small period where it worked fine. It always recognized HT. :D

Now, it refuses to recognize it again. But, this time I did something new. I went into device manager. Usually, when HT is enabled, under processors it has two "Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz" entries. But now, I expanded "Processors," and what was there? "Processor." That's all. It wasn't Intel, it wasn't P4, it was just: Processor.

So, I downloaded the Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility. I figured it would give me some information as to what was going on. But you know what it told me? My processor wasn't supported by the program. I looked at the list of supported processors, and P4 is on there. But my processor isn't being recognized as a P4.

So what do I do? This isn't a Windows XP problem, because even the BIOS doesn't recognize it sometimes. I tried contacting the MB support; they were useless. Am I going to have to start sending products back and getting new ones to find out what the problem is?

By the way, I read somewhere that someone suggested upping the voltage on the processor a little. I'm scared of doing this, scared of melting/frying/blowing up something. What should the voltage be for my processor? Right now, it's set at 1.5250V.

Also, this could be going hand in hand with my other problems. Random restarts, freezes, and sometimes the computer won't boot. It never enters BIOS setup, it just sits there.

Can anyone give me some direction on these problems?

Stuff I've tried: Tightening all connections, making sure nothing is overheating, turning off autoreboot, getting all windows updates, memory tests, processor stress tests, making sure I have a sufficient power supply (400W, 12V at 25A, 5V at 30A, 3.3V at 28A).

It's just saying "Processor." Yes, it is supports HT (even says so on the box!), and yes it's on that list. I have PNY RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom