Here we go again, another first time build... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister_Meow

Solid State Member
First off I really like ya'lls forums. I've been snooping around and found lot nicer conversation going on between the noobs and the knowledgable with not a lot of crap inbetween! Please don't change that on this post! lol

As the subject says, I'm putting together my first system. I'm not a hardcore gamer but would like to get into more games than I my current setup can support. Main use is going to be multi-tasking, ie: photoshop and video editing, music, and internet.

Here's a link to what I've put together on newegg.. http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5194967
some highlights:
· ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
· XFX PVT71JYHD9 GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
· AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail
· CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5 - Retail
· Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (2 of 'em ran in RAID 0)

My budget is ideally $1400 but you can see I've over shot a little. I have severl questions so I'm gonna break them up into sections, feel free to make comments, answer 1 or answer all!

1) Harddrives: My current configuration calls for 2 160GB RE Caviars ran in Raid 0. I can purchase a 300GB RE Caviar (same 16mb cache) for $90 ($36 less)... This would be my first time setting up a RAID config so I don't know if I'm going to notice any perfomance gains ($36 dollars worth?) by running a RAID 0?

2) RAM: I've choosen the higher speed ram because its SLI-certified. The way I understand it is when I POST the first time, the mobo should recognize the SLI-cert ram and run it close to the 1066mhz speed. I understand this is goign to underclock my CPU but I plan on juicing it back up to speed. This is a $100 option, is it worth it?

3) PSU: I read the sticky about power supplies and how many are overkill and if you stick with a namebrand you should be ok. Well, I don't know any namebrands :) and was curious if what I picked out was going to be adequate. I planning on adding a second XFX GeForce 1950GT running in SLI in the future but current budget won't allow it. I purposely picked a single rail because I've read that they handle overclocking better than split rails. I don't have big plans to overclock this thing insanely but I do plan on trying to do a slight to modest overclock.

Like I've said before this is my first build but I'm not completly wet behind the ears. I would put myself as an advanced casual user. :) I can install ram, swap drives (slave/master), and install HDD's but I don't consider myself a "Techie" at all! So any and all comments are appreciated! TIA!!!

if you are going to overclock then an intel c2d 6600 (and maybe a 6400 with a good-sic moderately high- overclock) will pretty easily smoke that amd buddy.
if you are going to stay stock, (that's okay and all) and really want to go amd, get an x2 4200.
it's way cheaper than the 5200. it's actually (i think) the best dual core you can get for 150 bucks....maybe an opteron 165 is better, but only if you overclock. and if you are going to overclock, well...see above.
your ram is good, but i'd go with plain ol corsair xms ddr2-800.
i don't know how high that 5200 will o.c., but i will wager it won't be much (if at all) over 3.0ghz. of course at stock speeds that would put ddr2-800 at 500mhz, so you may be better of with ddr2-1066. that's expensive, though, as i am sure you have noticed.
everyone here seems to like the fortron psus. i think it's a 480W, but someone else knows for sure i bet.

I'm kinda partial to AMD and didn't really look at the core 2 duo processors. But after doing so reading up on 'em it looks like they can pretty easily man-handle the AMD's. So this has caused me to rethink things.... The biggest problem is the price of the E6600 and an Asus 590 board being a whole lot pricier than the AMDs. I would go with a slower clockspeed but as this being my first time trying to overclock I don't plan on doing anything to drastic and would rather have the higher clockspeed to begin with. I'm gonna have to rethink my parts list and eliminate some things that ain't necessary at the moment and add them later. I'll try to post another list later today.

any thoughts on the mobo (nVidia 590 vs 965X vs P965)? I want to go SLI at full x16 speed across both ports. This may not be a big perfomance gain now but I don't plan on buying a computer anytime again in the next 3-5 years.

okay if you're partial to amd, you can get the 4200 and do a small overclock on it. it will offer you comprable performance of the e6300 and it's a little cheaper.once you get into overclocking, though, you will only be able to achieve (and it takes work) close to 2.9 with the 4200, an increase of (maximum) 7-800 mhz.
with the 6300, you can probably get past 3.0ghz, an increase of 1100mhz. so, it's up to you. product loyalty is great. that's why i bought my amd, and i have no regrets AT ALL. but, if you are looking for the top performer right now, c2d is it.

Ok, I fixed my link to my original configuration.. So here it is:
AMD X2 5200+ 'puter

However, after reviewing and comparing the Core 2 Duo and the AMD X2, I've came to the conclusion that the Core 2 Duo is a much better chip. Even though I like AMD, I'm going to get an Intel processor. So, I've come up with these next 2 configs. The first one being my ideal setup. However, it comes in at around $1700 which is above my $1400 limit.... I've gotten rid of a lot of the gingerbread and put together a "budget" system that comes in right at $1400.
Ideal Core 2 Duo setup
Budget Core 2 Duo setup

I don't intend to overclock massively and plan on using the stock coolers. I just don't know that much about it and I plan on using this setup to learn. I'm also looking for longevity... I don't plan on buying a new computer for 5 yrs or so (shoot, I'm still using a 466mHz P3!) I already have keyboard, mouse, and moniter (a Samsung SyncMaster 215tw :cool: ).

I'm having a hard time figuring out the P965 vs 975X differences (pros and cons?). I chose to go with the nVidia 590 because I see the full x16 speed on each slot in SLI as being a huge benefit in the future. I also like the built in wireless since it will keep me from buying another card.

I appreciate the help and already I've learned something! Thanks!!!

EDIT: Fixed links... :eek:

b1gapl said:
Your list doesn't work, but heres a list I made for you:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...shListNumber=4812906&WishListTitle=$1k++tower

Just add a case of your choice. I don't know if you needed a monitor, keys, and mouse. I just assumed you needed the tower only.

Thanks for the list, gave me some stuff to think about... And you assumed right, just need the tower.

2 things I didn't really like was the video card and the mobo. The mobo can't run SLI for the video cards which is something I know I definitely want. The video card is nice, but I would like something with 512mb of ram.

Also, for the optical drives I'm gonna pillage my old 'puter as I have a DVD-RW and a DVD-Rom on PATA's that I can use.

are you ever going to do sli? i mean really
the price vs performance in sli is not worth ti at all so save your money

I think currently SLI isn't what it could be. But I do believe that as the software continues to demand more and more from video cards that its going to come to a point where 2 graphics cards will be a huge benefit, IMO. I'm trying to build a pc that maybe right now has some features aren't a huge benefit but in a 2 years it could be. I can't afford to buy a new computer every 2 years, nor do I want to. I'm hoping that by paying a bit more now for features like SLI that I'll be able to add another card in a couple years and keep my computer up to par for another year or so. The graphics card I buy now isn't going to be near what its going to cost in a couple years so I'll get a cheap performance gain at that time. At least this is what I'm hoping for....

As some have already said, SLI is not worth the cost right now. I have assembled a build based on your past "budget" build. Here it is:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - $316
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP nForce 590 SLI - $215.99
Memory: G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL4 - $229.99
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked - $409.99
Power Supply: Hiper HPU-4K580-MS 580W - $89.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s - $89.99
Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Dual 120mm Fans - $39.99

Total: $1391.94

With shipping, you're right on budget. The RAM I suggested is both cheaper and a bit faster than the Corsair RAM you proposed. Also, the Hiper PSU is a bit cheaper but is high quality (and SLI-ready).

As for video card, I decided to go for a single 8800GTS. Even if it's the 8800GTX's little brother, it still delivers amazing performance, faster than a X1950XTX. You can always buy a second one down the road if you insist on having SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom