Burning up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey nagasama on first ever boot i got into the bios and then the comp automatically shut down a few secs later. I immediatly checked over everything again, thats when i saw that the left side of the cpu fan was a little bit loose. I pulled everything out and just pushed the heatsink properly on (without pulling the fan off or applying more grease). Is it worth getting a new fan and grease if my cpu has died? I just ran pcmark06.. thinking i might have seriously damaged the cpu..

CPU Tests
CPU1 - Red Valley 0.68 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 1.097 FPS
CPU Score 2158 Marks

Components Your System
Processor Intel Core 2 2400 MHz
Physical / Logical CPUs 1 / 2
MultiCore 2 Processor Cores
HyperThreading N/A
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Graphics Driver NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Co-operative adapters No
DirectX Version 9.0c
System Memory 2048 MB
Disk Space 305.25 GB
Motherboard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard Model P5N-E SLI
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP

Other notes: I've reinstalled windows and got cpu-z to work. I took some screenies, but have given up trying to edit them all and put them up as it keeps freezing on me in paint?

dude. it only takes a few seconds to toast it if the hsf is not installed properly.
i don't want to scare you so dont panic here.
your temps dont look that high froom what i know of c2d.
so, probably when you re seated it, you did it okay. it wouldn't hurt to take it off and clean it, and reapply some arctic silver 5.
probably the reason it shut down is it reached the maximum temp allowed in your bios (which, for future knowledge, is one of the first things you should turn down, i.e. if it's at 95, put it to 80. i personally have mine set to 70).
wierd. if it ran 3dmk06 without crashing, i would hope that the cpu is okay.
let me think on it and see also if anyone else has input...

you change the direction of the fan by unscrewing it, turning it around, and screwing it back in... i know, its really high tech. also make sure your cpu fan is blowing down onto the heatsink!
from the way u described it,
"the bottom fan i've realised is actually blowing at the powersupply"
it makes me think that you have the front fan mounted high in the case. it should be mounted at the lowest possible grill on the front of the computer.

think of it this way: you want cool, ambient air being sucked in from the front, bottom most part of the case. this air gets used by the processor and cools the mobo and ram as well. as the cool air comes in from the bottom/front fan, it warms up and begins to rise naturally. so you want the top fan and back fan to exaust this warm air and encourage more cool air to be drawn in from the front.

encouraging the air to flow naturally (cold air stays at the bottom, hot air rises) it creates very good flow currents thru out the case. :)

Well it was definatly something to do with the motherboard; whether it was heating up or incompatibility issues with other hardware i'm not sure. Ended up going with a gigabyte 965g ds-4 (no sli, but hey 8800gtx is overkill anyway!).

Everything is working fine! Runs a lot cooler too, though the gtx runs pretty **** hot! me and my flatmate both have one and it runs at about 80 degrees when playing NW2. whew!

Bit of a random question.. but why does the p180 have the lower fan situated behind the harddrive bay? wouldn't it make more sense to have it right at the front of the case sucking air in? or is this something to do with reducing noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom