7 Mins. To Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Crunk

In Runtime
When i bought my computer it would take about 1-2 mins. to boot up. These days, it takes about 7 mins. Granted i have downloaded and installed numerous programs on my computer since i purchased it and i only have 128mb of ram, but 7 minutes is rediculous. Do you think my computer is dying on me, or i just need to install more RAM?

PS: I have 55% of my hard drive free, so it's not completely filled up, any suggestions?

There are many reasons why a computer would take a long time to boot. The amount of programs that startup with windows would probably be your problem. Either that or youÂ’re going to need an upgrade. Just have a look at your startup menu in the start menu.

If there are a whole lot of things in there then just delete all the items that donÂ’t need to boot with the computer. Such as perhaps WinZip or ICQ or MSN. There is also another way to do this by going to your start menu and selecting run and then typing msconfig. However this is only for advanced users and it doesnÂ’t work with Windows 2000. If your not an advanced user and donÂ’t know what your doing then I wouldnÂ’t use this method. Another issue may also be your hardware. Such as your processor speed, amount of ram, ect. If you could list your computers specifications and what operating system youÂ’re running that would be great.
:)

1. MAny is time to defrag your HDD.
2.Many u have too many startup items.If can, try 2 minimise it.
3.Many your RAM not enough.What OS r u using? ( Win XP need at least 256MB of RAM )
4.Try to adjust some settings on the BIOS to make it boot faster.

7 mins once your in windows does everything go really slow also? In the bios look that your processor is at the normal speed if it is in compatitible mode then it will turn off all the processor cache and could cause it to take that long to startup. if it is at normal speed try booting to safe mode if it goes alot faster take the other suggestions about clearing out the startup environment.

Well there are a few things you can do... you can get more ram. If you go to start, run, then type in msconfig it will bring u up to a screen. Click on the startup tab i think it is and uncheck everything except your virus scanner. What this will do is it will make it so all the programs that are on the toolbar will not load up when u boot up. So it will make it less time for it to boot up. But 128MB is ram is very very little. What are your computer specs? I would get another 256 or even upgrade to 512 if it is even worth it...

Who's Many? LoL.

Anyway, i think everyone else just about covered it. Even after you do the above (eliminate some start up proggies, defrag, clean up windows a bit) you should still go out and invest in some more ram. If it used to take 1 to 2 minutes to boot up when it was new, you should also consider upgrading your processor.

It's a sign that your computer needs some babying. Get busy!

I am using windows xp, i have removed a couple of things from the start menu (that helped a little), my computer tells me i do not need to defrag, once i am in windows it is a little slow but not really any slower than normal, and also, what it bootvis?

oh, and i forgot to mention, i have an intel celeron processor. I know it sucks, so is there a way to upgrade the processor without changing like the motherboard or am i looking to spend alot of money doing this?

You need to learn the in's and out's of your mother board. That's where you start. Find out what kind of motherboard you have, who made it, and what it's limitations are. Then you'll know if you can expand it and how far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom