New hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangs2000

In Runtime
Hey all,

I have recently bought 2x SATA Seagate 320 GB hard disks. I am using a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboard.

I already have two HDs plugged into the two purple slots (Seagate, 160/200GB).

I installed the 2 new hard drives into the orange sata ports and connected them up with power etc.

I turned on the computer and checked the BIOS, and they are not there.

I have switched the SATA cables around and can say that when a HD is plugged into the purple SATA socket, I can see that HD, anything that is plugged into the orange I cannot see in the bios or windows. I have tried all the Orange plugs and updated the bios to the latest version (F8)

Any advice? This is extreamly annoying seeing I just spent £160 on these disks.

I can confirm both of the new HDs work fine, and are formated to NTFS.

Thanks for any help

the different colors means that you have two different controllers, gigabytes site is to slow for me right now to look for sure, one set of sata's would be controlled by your northbridge and the other by your ide controller. You need to install the sata drivers for both.

Does that explain why I cannot see them in the bios though?

The closest thing i have found to a chipset driver is the Intel INFs off the gigabyte website.

Firstly, I am not trying to run raid AT ALL.

I downloaded the SATA raid driver from the link FlashDude gave me and installed it, no effect.

The new HDs are installed correctly, when I touch them they are warm and vibrating slightly, so they must be getting power at least. I have also triple checked to make sure the cables are secure.

diskmgmt.msc does not show anything except my current HDs and my DVD drive.

Also, I am using the Gigabyte sockets, it is the Intel ones that do not work at all, no matter what is plugged into them. I have checked the manual and any documentation is realated to the Gigabyte controler.

How can I check that? There isn't any obvious was to turn on and off certain ports. There is some stuff on RHCI or something, but there is no SATA port 1 = on/off.

I have tried different combinations of anything with the words SATA in the description in the bios, no luck.

I have also reset the bios (using the optimized settings option)

I would REALLY like to here some who has the same MB as me say that those ports work for them, and let me know if they had the change any settings to get it to work.

Seems the driver for my chipset isn't on there. I assume i need the G965 but the foot note says:

# The chipset must be using the Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO I/O Controller Hub (ICH8R). The driver only supports the RAID and AHCI controllers in ICH8R and will not work with ICH8 chipsets.

I have a ICH8 Chipset...

I downloaded it anyway and tried to run it and it said i do not meet the minimum requirements.

Thanks for the help so far, keep it coming please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom