Cold Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstar

Beta member
I have a 8-month old pc "Touch" that just had repair, new hardrive I assume since I had to reload everything when I got it back. I have to send it to another city by courier and that is why I am not simply taking it back to them and asking them so I hope someone here has the magic answer for me.

At a cold boot it now will not load Windows XP UNTIL I unplug the keyboard. The fan just makes a lugging noise (up and down) and the 3 lights blink above the number pad on the keyboard. The second I unplug the keyboard from the round port in the back of my computer Windows XP loads. What should I do???
1. Try a new keyboard?
2. Get an adapter so I can go from round port connection n my keyboard cord to usb plug so I can plug into a usb port in the back of my computer.

Any other thoughts.

PS: I'm a newbie when it comes to this hardware/running stuff despite the fact I've been a secretary and used a computer since l975. Detailed (simple as they may seem) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

try a new keyboard, as weird and funny as it may sound i have actually had a mouse stop a computer from going through the POST screen and booting into windows. i found out it was the mouse causing it after i accidentally left it out during boot and the pc loaded, put a new mouse in it and it ran fine, strange but it worked. so try that first and tell us what happens.

bannedv2copy.jpg

the fan speeds changing and the lights would make me think its power supply but then the keyboard thing?? pretty unusual

P.S i doubt you got a new hard drive they probablyjust formatted it and sent it back if they are crap, most places do these days but i could be wrong if the fault was on your hard drive in the first place. what was the original reason it got sent away?

Today's Status: I took a new keyboard home from work and was going to try it and somehow, while just sitting off at home all day, I could get NO POWER, notta. Good power from wall, surge protector, etc. It's gotta be my power box!!! Anyways, I packed it up in the box and it gets couriered back down to the big city for repair. Since this is the 3rd visit in 45 days I told them to replace it if it is a lemon. Thank god for 3 years warranties as this computer is only 8 months old. :) Thanks for your advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom