BFG card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kida

Solid State Member
question 1: how much does the power supply matter in running a video card? i have a bfg 6200 oc that requires min 250w power supply and that's exactly how much my current power supply is in my computer. all of the games i play work fine, except for counterstrike and day of defeat. sometimes while i'm playing it would just freeze and then unfreeze after about 30+ seconds. then a few times it wouldn't unfreeze at all and the computer just restarts on its own.

question 2: how come the only nvidia driver version that works with my bfg card is the one that came with it? when i tried to update to the most current version (or any version for that matter) i would have trouble running videos (i.e. it wouldn't run at all and my computer would freeze up). but when i revert back to the version on the CD that came in the box, the video works fine.

p4 2.8ghz, 1gb, 80gb, bfg 6200 oc pci

Well all i know is that my buddy had a 350watt psu in his computer and he was running a fx5200 graphics card, he could only run far cry on low settings. He needed a new psu and he got a fortron 400watt psu now he can play far cry almost on high.

Cdub89 said:
Well all i know is that my buddy had a 350watt psu in his computer and he was running a fx5200 graphics card, he could only run far cry on low settings. He needed a new psu and he got a fortron 400watt psu now he can play far cry almost on high.

Hahaha, there's no way you're going to play Farcry on high with a FX5200. Also, a power supply with 50 more watts is not going to do ANYTHING for video card performance...sorry.

1) You need to look at the 12V rail to determine whether your PSU can handle the 6200 or not. Chances are you need a bigger (not watt wise, though) PSU. Most watts you'll ever need (for now) is around 600.

2) nVidia drivers have always been rather hit-or-miss, it seems. It is not a rare thing for new drivers to be released and they are completely worthless. Search google for the best 6200 drivers.

CrazeD said:
Hahaha, there's no way you're going to play Farcry on high with a FX5200. Also, a power supply with 50 more watts is not going to do ANYTHING for video card performance...sorry.
I said almost and we noticed a big difference in his performance. Why would i make up this?

Re: Re: BFG card question

Snake-Eyes said:
1) You need to look at the 12V rail to determine whether your PSU can handle the 6200 or not. Chances are you need a bigger (not watt wise, though) PSU. Most watts you'll ever need (for now) is around 600.

2) nVidia drivers have always been rather hit-or-miss, it seems. It is not a rare thing for new drivers to be released and they are completely worthless. Search google for the best 6200 drivers.

thanks! so you're saying that i probably need a bigger (in size instead of watts) PSU? also what's a good PSU brand?

pardon my ignorance, i don't really know much about computer hardware.

no, you need a psu with higher amps, along with the watts

and as for being ignorant, we were all there at one point, and thats why you're here asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom