2500 OC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbc

Baseband Member
Hi,
Just got my 2500m and I couldn't wait, so I put the FSB to 200 with multiplier 11! Running prime95 torture test, no problem!
I opened the mbm and asus probe to monitor the temperature... after about 10 mins, the alarm start to sound from the asus probe. +5V was fluctuating, so I ignored, and carry on, well after few minutes, all the temperature became N/A on both mbm and asus probe!!!
Asus probe was showing CPU fan, Chasis Fan under threshold(I set it at 600rpm) +12V and +5V was fluctuating! So I got scared I am going to burned the CPU and shut the power off! During all of these time, prime 95 was running!

Restart and set the multiplier to 10, but it won't boot, so I shut it off and just set it back to stock!

What might be the cause of this??? I suspect it might be the power supply, but than it is a 400W(I hope the shop didn't lie to me 2 years ago...) hahaha

Please help...

I think you're right about the power supply. do you have another computer that you can swap power supply with?

No I don't, is there anyways to check the capacity of the power supply?

define what you mean by fluxuating, because my guess is you're freaking out about a common non stable psu... which won't stay accurate @ 5v, it will usually be below that and it won't stick with a stable current. Instead of using those silly programs, check your bios. If your bios shows that something is low or is fluxuating like you're saying, then you have a problem. Those programs are rarely accurate in temp's and it's possible to be the same with voltages.

just because it it claims 400watts doesn't mean its a real 400 watt power supply. can you give me the model and how much you paid for it? a quality power supply will be very stable. i do not think he is over-reacting. these monitoring softwares always set the alarm at a very safe point. if you do not know what power supply you have that means it is most likely generic, un-reliable piece of crap.

Update

I think it is a generic one, since I paid CAD $50 for both case and the psu!!! I ran the prim95 and it gave me an error at about 3hr and 15min!!! The temp of CPU stay at about 40-45 degree.
I did went into bios and check the vcore voltage to be at 1.63-1.65v
Just to give it a test I have post the picture below,
first one is when I just get into the window, second one is when I load asus probe and mbm together with prime95, excel and word!!!
I am hoping it is not the memory and the cpu, since I just bought them!!!
If it is the power supply, about how many watts will I need for it to be stable?
Will this be a good buy?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=720575&Sku=D15-1010

1.bmp

2.bmp

tbc you are wanting to get another cheap case with a piece of crap power supply. you need to buy a separate power supply. goto newegg.com and type "enlight 420" into the search box. thats the power supply you want if you need something cheap and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom