Windows XP won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpungeX

Solid State Member
Hello,
i've had a problem with my other computer for some time now and have tried many things but to no avail, maybe someone can help.

Its an old P3 dell with 256 MB RAM.

When i try to load windows by turning it on, it first does the whole bios thing, checks the ram etc, but no sign of windows loading, it just goes from the bios stuff to a blank, black screen with a horizontal flashing line on the very top left of the screen.

Now i know it detects the drive as it shows up during the first loading.
I know the hard-drive and windows installation on it work as they work on my other computer.

So far ive tried, different hard-drives, re-installing XP many times, changing graphics cards, trying with different ram sticks, taking out the sound card., but im still in the same position.

Could it be the motherboard or bios or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Horizontal line at the top of the screen?

That could be either a failing video card or monitor. Try different video card/monitor.

I've got an extra monitor and 3 video cards. Same problem on each one. The horizontal line is just a tiny one like the one in DOS where you are typing.

Oh I see. Sorry about that.

So you've tried:

1. Reformatting with the Windows XP CD
2. Trying a new Hard Drive
3. Updating your BIOS with a floppy disk?

No i haven't tried that actually, i dont think ive any floppies around so ill have to wait till tomorrow.
I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with good news.

Ok, i made a floppy for flashing the bios and a boot floppy, but when i try to boot from the boot floppy i get the same problem as i do when trying to boot from the windows HD. The little dos cursor on the top left. This looks bleak

it is a power issue
try unplugging all USB devices
that usually takes care of it, if it doesn't, try upgrading your PSU

Ok i successfully flashed the bios but still no progress. I do have another PSU around i could try, i tihnk ill do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom