Only Direct X10 cards for Vista Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

Baseband Member
I'm in the planning stages of purchasing a computer for me when I head off to college for work and play. Now, I've really considered the ATI X1950XTX 512mb card. It has great reviews and specs and can play every game out there at the moment. However, with Vista around the corner, will I not be able to play the new PC games that come out this year? (i.e. Halo 2, Supreme Commander, Bioshock) Because of Direct X requirements, will I have to purchase a Direct X10 card JUST to play Direct X10 games, or can I use my ATI?

well the 8800gts is about the same price as the ati card, and outperforms it and uses dx10
so i would suggest getting it

Wait, so Direct X10 games like Supreme Commander can be played using Direct X9 cards? If that's true, then sah-weet. I mean, there are going to be lots of people who won't adopt to Vista or Direct X10 just yet. They might just stick with XP and the top of the line DX9 cards for another year or so before DX10 really starts to kick in. So I just want to make sure I can use the ATI to play DX10 games.

And with a list of games like this:http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221
coming to the PC, were in for a good ride.

yes, but hwy pay the same price for a dx9 card when you could get a dx10 card for the same price.

the 8800gts beats any dx9 card out there

Quick FYI on Supreme Commander, Confirmed System Specs

Minimum
Microsoft WIndows XP Service Pack 2, Vista 1.8 GHz processor 512 MB RAM 8GB available hard drive space 128MB video RAM or greater, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support Sound card, speakers or headphones 56.6 Kbps Internet connection required

Recommended
3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor or better 1GB RAM or better 8GB available hard drive space 256 MB Video RAM, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support (Nvidia 6800 or better) Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds.

These were from the EB Games Site

So DX10 Is not for Supreme Commander

(Made my day reading this)

Ahh, cool. I thought Supreme Commander was DirectX 10, mmm, oh well. At the moment, I just don't know if I want to make a jump to DirectX 10. Sure, it will be extremely beneficial later on, but maybe I'll wait and see what ATI has in store in a couple of months. And if I truly need a DirectX 10 card, I'll just swap the cards out.

well the newer games like Crysis and Alan Wake will have both DX9 and DX10 modes. their DX9 modes will look nice but DX10 will be unbelievable. my advice if you have the cash get the 8800 so you can get the full experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom