i think i killed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

icantflybfplane

In Runtime
so just nicely getting a replacement mobo cause my other one died...i decided hey...lets be a moron and **** around with overclocking...soo..system specs: E6300 1.86GHz, ASUS P5NSLI motherboard, 3GB OCZ platnium 800mhz ram, XFX 8800GTX, 2x160GB WD HD setup in RAID0, OCZ Gamer Xtream 700w psu

So..Ill try to remember what i had everythin set too..so i went into the bios and changed the VCore to 1.5, RAM to 2.1 and FSB i cant remember but it overclocked itself to 1377 and timings on ram were 4-5-4-10 so i started the comp up with just the ram overclocked...that worked fine and everything was dandy... i restarted and then proceeded to increase the vcore voltage

the comp restarted fine and booted into windows and one core said 1.86 and the other 2.05...strange but in anycase charged on and did a 3Dmark test to see any improvements, and i did the first couple mins that it ran i seen a 15FPS increase but then it froze shortly after starting, so after seeing nothing on my computer was responding i hit the restart button and now its giving me a blank screen like it did when the first asus p5nsli mobo i had died

i pulled all the ram out and pulled the cmos battery and managed to get the bios get to the point of detecting the IDE's but it freezes there

after even more tinkering around i managed to get into the bios and reset everything back to the defaults..it detects the hds and everything so i restarted and after post is done it detects the raid array i have setup...now it just sits there with a flashing prompt up in the top left hand corner

i replaced all the ram its all detected but still gets stuck at the point at detecting raid....

Now is there anything i can do? reinstall windows with the raid drivers? or what bridge is responisble for handling the raid north or south i cant remember..any suggestions what to do...i'd hate to get a new mobo but i think i killed it

yea sorry switched jumpers over and had it reset back to defaults and i had it load the defaults anyways just in case

turtile said:
Did you move the jumper to clear BIOS changes? The battery alone won't do it.

Yes, the battery will do it...

The BIOS chip can only remember things if it has power. If you take the battery out, you are removing its power and therefore it forgets everything.

EDIT: So you had the CPU at 2V? Did you read up at all on over clocking, or did you just start changing values at random?

With the VRAM and VCORE up that high, who knows what you did. Possibly fried the CPU.

Next time it'd be in your best interest to read up about it.

He said that he made the Vcore 1.5 in the BIOS, but in Windows it said one core was 1.86 and the other 2.05.

yea sorry the vcore voltage was only 1.5v......windows was clocking one core at 1.86GHz and the other core at 2.05GHz sorry for being unclear i read up a bit on it but not extensively...i didnt think 1.5 was a damaging voltage..not even close...but i dunno maybe my mobo just isnt very overclockable

Your motherboard should be a fine overclocker but you have to read more into it before you start changing things. You should only adjust the Vcore if you need to. You could get a little more out of that chip without even upping the Vcore at all. Also keep in mind, It's gonna be generating quite a bit more heat with a higher voltage. I doubt you killed anything but randomly changes things in bios like that god knows what you did to make it unhappy.

haha well i have everything back to the defaults and it started after i raised the vcore voltage..heats not a problem i have 4 120mm and 1x200mm and a zalman cpu cooler so heats not an issue, i just dont know why its not going thru the detecting raid array stage now

edit to previous post: the vram ocz is meant to be able to oc a voltage like up to 2.6 or somethin so i know it can handle 2.0 or 2.1 v

What you need to do is adjust one thing at a time. start by lowering your multiplier and start raising your FSB little by little while adjusting your memory divider accordingly, (do not adjust anything else, not even your vcoere.)

When you find that you can't raising anymore while keeping it stable then you're found your FSB ceiling and you can then start to raise your vcore, just don't go too high on your vcore and make sure you got good temps, once you're found a good FSB setting and comfortable vcore, you can move your multiplier back to the default setting.

Then you can start on the memory, lower your cpu multiplier and fsb, then start to raise RAM speed, adjusting ram voltage as necessary, you may want to check with your memory manufacturer when finding what the safe operating voltages are. When your RAM hits the ceiling then you've found the highest speed your RAM will operate at, with the current timings. You then need to set your divider at the closest ratio that matches your RAM and FSB speeds then re-adjust your cpu and your ram speeds to match that ratio. just make sure you lower the speeds to match the ratio.

Just remember to only change one thing at a time and be sure to monitor your temps under load. Also if you have the D9 fatbodies in those Platinum sticks then you may be able to get those sticks clocked at near 1000Mhz.

thanks for that bit of info there, haha right now im just trying to get my machine in working order right now everythings back at defaults but i think i fried my sata controllers because its not detecting my hds i switched cables and put the hard drives into another computer and they detected fine so im just getting a new mobo thanks anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom