artic silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspot

In Runtime
I just bought a nice computer from dell AMD 5000+ 4 gig of ram all the goodies... was wondering if I should put some artic silver on it ... since this is the first computer I have bought from a manfact. I will be gaming video editing and stuff like that.

that was what I was kinda wondering if they put anything on it from the factory or if it would me a problem if I took the heatsink off..

nah its simple to put back on, just be patient and dont force anything. Any i dont know of many manufacturers who use artic silver by default, so spread away!

it only takes a bb size amount of as5 to do the job. when u put the heatsink back on, try to minimize the mount of movement once contact has been made w/ the as5... if you end up having to move the heatsink back and forth and dont line it up right, clean it off, reapply and do it again

Understand that your Voiding the warranty before doing it.
Bringing me to my next point.
Why did you buy a dell!? I can only imagine the amount of money you spent and how much better a computer you could have built.

Oh well.

Our family Dell is really hard to disassemble. When I tested my new build I tried but failed to get the heatsink off. On mine there's a green cap covering the heatsink, sort of like an air tunnel, that was easy to get off but the heatsink wouldn't budge, even after trying to use force.

I hope yours would go more easily but I'd say that unless you want to put another heatsink on it, don't worry about putting Arctic Silver on your processor. The stock cooling does its job and you can't overclock a Dell (unless you download a pirate BIOS).

Phrantic said:
Our family Dell is really hard to disassemble. When I tested my new build I tried but failed to get the heatsink off. On mine there's a green cap covering the heatsink, sort of like an air tunnel, that was easy to get off but the heatsink wouldn't budge, even after trying to use force.

I hope yours would go more easily but I'd say that unless you want to put another heatsink on it, don't worry about putting Arctic Silver on your processor. The stock cooling does its job and you can't overclock a Dell (unless you download a pirate BIOS).

Your never suposed to take the heatsink off on a cold PC. Maybe you didn't, you didn't really say. But, you should get the CPU hot before turning the computer off. This heats and loosens the thermal goo so its almost always easier to take. You have to twist slightly as you pull too.

cwiz said:
if you end up having to move the heatsink back and forth and dont line it up right, clean it off, reapply and do it again

Not entirely true... In the AS5 directions for my AMD 64 CPU, it stated to rotate the heatsink ontop of the CPU to spread out the paste. worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom