Sound Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

violet_abyss

Solid State Member
I got a new sound card, the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, and when I installed the driver for it - nothing happened. It said it had installed, but I still had no sound whatsoever. So, like a reasonable person, I went back to the M-Audio website and took a good look, and found that I was supposed to install the driver before putting in the card, so I un-installed the driver, took out the card, re-installed the driver, and put the card back in. And nothing happened. I still had no sound. So, now I'm at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions?

(I was not sure what information I should put in order to help any clever people who might help me, so please ask, and I apologize for my ignorance.)

First, have you double-checked that the speakers are plugged into the proper place in the card? That is the #1 reason for no sound, in my experience.

If the answer is yes, then have you checked the Device Manager? (Properties of My Computer).... Depending on your motherboard (if it has onboard sound) you may need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound.

penfold said:
First, have you double-checked that the speakers are plugged into the proper place in the card? That is the #1 reason for no sound, in my experience.

If the answer is yes, then have you checked the Device Manager? (Properties of My Computer).... Depending on your motherboard (if it has onboard sound) you may need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard sound.

I have checked the speakers, multiple times, and they work fine on my sisters computer. I will go check that then, thank you very much. :)

Soundcards are supposed to work without drivers... so I can't imagine it would be a soundcard issue.

it may work without drivers, but it probably wont work right.
i had to install current drivers for my 2 zs card to use the newer eax. and it also fixed some other minor bugs that i was having (i noticed phrantic in another post you said that creative/nvida combo was a problem. and it was, until i updated drivers.)
lol take note poster that many times the color of the plug on your speakers will not match up with the color of the output jack on card it's supposed to be in.
also, try changing the slot where you have the card installed.

violet_abyss said:
I have checked the speakers, multiple times, and they work fine on my sisters computer. I will go check that then, thank you very much. :)

No, it was not that, anyway. (Sounds like something I would do, but I did not build the PC. n_n;; You probably all think that's lame.)

Phrantic said:
Soundcards are supposed to work without drivers... so I can't imagine it would be a soundcard issue.

Well, I'm pretty sure it needs a driver, but in any case I don't know what else it would be...:(

nagasama said:
it may work without drivers, but it probably wont work right.
i had to install current drivers for my 2 zs card to use the newer eax. and it also fixed some other minor bugs that i was having (i noticed phrantic in another post you said that creative/nvida combo was a problem. and it was, until i updated drivers.)
lol take note poster that many times the color of the plug on your speakers will not match up with the color of the output jack on card it's supposed to be in.
also, try changing the slot where you have the card installed.

Ah, changing the slot seems reasonable...

violet_abyss said:
Ah, changing the slot seems reasonable...

I had that issue with a creative soundcard on my new computer. it wouldnt detect it in the last slot , bottom one. but I moved it up one and it was detected. now I have a firewire card in the last slot and it works fine but soundcard didnt. odd isnt it? LOL

networkgeek said:
I had that issue with a creative soundcard on my new computer. it wouldnt detect it in the last slot , bottom one. but I moved it up one and it was detected. now I have a firewire card in the last slot and it works fine but soundcard didnt. odd isnt it? LOL

I've been a little busy so I have not tried it yet, but I really appreciate the help. I guess it is odd . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom