BUY or Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Normy

Solid State Member
Hi all!
NEWBIE here!

I can purchase a compaq P4 2.8gtz 512 ram 80gig HD CDRWDVD machine for $550(new). The computer is mainly for internet with some moderate gaming. It does not come with a video card, but I would probably add a ATI9600 128. Im leaning toward this option.

In checking prices on the parts I dont think I could build the same machine for the money. Im not into over clocking and all the gaming but I would not be against building my own machine.

I do have an old compaq case with a 266mgz P2(maybe a P3), would this make an acceptale build case platform(pwr source etc)? Knowing that I need a new mobo and the whole works.

Anyone?

Thanks
Normy

i would build it. You can learn a lot and its cheaper. But i would get the ATI 9600 pro or even the 9600xt.

Okay,

Say I want to build it. Will my old case and pwr supply work? When I add up all the parts, I end up with more $$ outlayed than I would for the built system(incl shipping). Any suggestions as to a cheaper supplier than the egg or comp geeks would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you already have the OS and a decent case, I'd say build your computer. Even if it cost you a little more in parts. I doubt that compaq case will suit your needs. Not sure of which model you have, but if that compaq case can take a regular ATX motherboard and support at least two cd-rom drives, you can use it. Otherwise just go ahead and get yourself a decent case for about $70. You can get them cheaper with a cheaper power supply or without, but for $70 aim for a nice tower with some nice cooling vents and a 350watt power supply. Wattage depending on your processor and video card choice of course.

Buying a name brand computer is for the sheep. You want to be a wolf don't cha? :D

If I could build my own laptop I would, but I didn't get a dell.

:laughing:

I say build. For around $700-800. I'm building about a $1200 comp. You could build a nice one for your budget.

Definitely build, you will feel more proud of the machine you build yourself, learn a lot, and have better bragging rights. As for prebuilt you can never crack the cover yourself without losing your warrenty. I'm not even sure anyone else BUT the prebuider (new word?LOL) can crack the case according to their warrenty.
I am very proud of the machine I built starting with just the mobo, and with the amount of upgrading that I do I would hate the down time of someone else working on it. Absolutely NO ONE touches my computer on the inside. Hell, I cringe when my wife gets on the thing playing her internet games and checks her email. I'm just real sensative that way. LOL

Normy you sound like you are more interested in saving money than building. my suggestion to you since you probably have little experience with installing operating systems and softwares or even installing a sound card, than you should BUY not build.

unless you have a determination to learn how to build and install all the softwares yourself, this will end up costing you more money and time. operating systems are not cheap, so factor in the costs of all software.

Definately build. I've never worked on the inside of a Compaq, but since its owned by HP, I would believe the cases would be similar. I made the mistake of buying an HP Pavilion for $1000 last year, and its already outdated and un-upgradable. The maximum watt power supply that will fit in the case is an HP-manufactured 200W, which means I can't upgrade from the integrated graphics card that came with the system. The CD-ROM drives are actually built into the case so you can't remove them. It will also take no higher than PC2100 memory. Because of this, I will never buy again unless its a laptop. I am currently building a new system.

I have windows me and xp already plus word and all the goodies from my dell laptop. I can do the installs of the software, Im slightly leary of the bios and chipset settings and of problems firing up. Ive already taken the old compaq apart to instaall an ethernet card and to check the hard drive numbers.

I guess my biggest problem would be deciding on a mobo and chipset. I'd like to stick to a P4 2.6 to 3.0 gtz with 512 k ram and an 80gig hd with cdrwand dvdplayer.

When I get more time Ill pull the numbers off my old compaq board to see if the case is servicable, it has a small hd, a cd player, 3.5"drive, etc... I really would like to build it but worry about frying something and having to repurchase it.

Thanks for the replies so far!!

Norm

well glad to hear you are willing and able to build it yourself. if what you are planning to do is salvage parts off your old computer than don't. doing than will cause you more headaches than actually saving you money. computer parts are cheap nowadays. so where do you plan to buy the parts from? are you able to buy from www.newegg.com? they only ship within the united states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom