SCSI or SATA for 15000rpm HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
i saw 2 types of 15000 rpm hard disk from seagate and 1 was sata and 1 was scsi whats the difference? i dont have a scsi port but if i was to buy an scsi port card would it take up my pci express slot or just the normal pci slot? i have 4 sata slots so it should be enough... and also whats the price reccomendation for 15000 rpm hard disk for 73gb and 146gb? and why is it only 73gb and 146gb for fast rpm hard drives? thanks

There's no reason to buy a SCSI drive. They're meant for servers and are extremely expensive. Just stick with Sata.

well how about sata drives? are they cheaper? because the faster the rpm the faster the performance and there is 10000 rpm hard drives also and i want to get a reccomendation of which hard drive is the best

The 10K hard drives are faster, but only slightly. Not faster enough to justify the price. A 10K WD Raptor runs about $105 for a 36GB model and they only go up from there. Just get a Sata 250GB, it's plenty fast with a 16MB cache and you'll have loads more storage, Not to mention it only costs about 80 bucks.

i have ST3400832AS hard drive which is 400GB 8MB cache and i bought it when only 500GB hard drives were around and my current 400GB hard disk costed $1885 which means $240 in USD and whats the difference between 7.2k 10k and 15k rpm hard drives and i cant find any sata 15k rpm hard drives and it looks like they are all pretty expensive. i might have to stick with 10k or just forget about hard disks

Here's an entire list of Sata drives for cheap, You probably can't order from here if you're somewhere else in the world but use it as a guide for what to look for. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010150014+1035915133&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=14

There is very little difference between the speeds until you get to 15K, but they're mainly used to servers and paying 600 dollars for a hard drive to use in your normal computer is absurd. You don't need anything about 7200, I don't see why you're stuck on the idea of buying a 10 or even 15K drive, it's just a waste of money.

i seen people and reviews saying 10k are faster and worth a buy and gamer machines have all those 10k rpm hard drives and i run a server on my computer but doesnt stay on 24/7 and barely no one comes into my site so i would count as i am not running a server and btw my friend said he bought a 10k rpm drive and he said windows load faster and games load much faster. is this true?

Yes, programs will load faster, since the hard drive is able to spin and access information faster. But it's not that much faster. You're kinda paying more, for just a few seconds decrease in load times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom