Help me choose a TV tuner!!! (external) Is a Slingbox like other tuners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeman07

Beta member
Hi all,
I know a goodbit about computers, but these tv tuners are totally new to me. I just ordered a new notebook & a 500GB WD MyBook Premium and what I really want is... to have an external TV tuner that would be programmed to record to the external hard drive even when I have the notebook with me. Is this possible, or am I dreaming? I have an extra older PC (the one I'm on now) that I could just leave with the tuner and hard-drive while I'm gone, but I was hoping to sell this..

So I've checked out the SlingBox's and their ability to let you watch from anywhere looks amazing, but do they do what other TV tuners do? Do they offer me the ability to make my computer basically a DVR with a programmable schedule as well? If not, then I want a traditional TV tuner, something that will act as a DVR and let me watch TV around the house. I see extrnal tuners going from $50 up to $200 (or more for the Slingbox Pro).. what should I be looking for? Please help. I'd like one with HD inputs if possible, but its not a must if I could save a lot by not getting them, I want to be able to record with good picture quality and we have an over-the-air HD antenna and a Directv HD box if that helps... I'm not sure how long I will be with DirecTV so flexibility like the Slingbox Pro offers as far as all the inputs is desired I guess in case I switch to digital cable or somthing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom