Clock speed problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
I just looked at my nvidia ntune software and noticed that some of the clock speeds didn't look right. It looked like my QX6700 was clocked at 266 mhz with a multiplier of 6, that only equals about 1600 mhz. I may be reading it wrong but it also looks like my memory is only clocked at 533 mhz. It also says that my 8800 gtx memory speed is only 900 mhz, the specs on newegg say it is supposed to run at 1800 mhz.

Now am I just reading this all wrong or is my system being underclocked? Please help me with this because I didn't spend four grand on a computer just so it could be underclocked.

Thank you in advance.

Shame on you for spending four grand on a computer in the first place.

First of all, the videocard is fine. The speed you're seeing there is the actual speed of the memory, before calculating the two instructions on each clock cycle. What Newegg advertises is the effective speed. Don't worry about it, those are both the same.

As for the CPU; Assuming that you haven't overclocked it, it would seem that Intel's EIST thing is kicking in. It slows down the speed of your processor by lowering the multiplier to conserve energy. The speed should kick back up during intensive tasks like games. You can disable EIST in the BIOS. And looks like you didn't change the setting on your memory in the BIOS either, so its still running 1:1 with your FSB. If you want to run DDR2-800 memory at DDR2-800 while running a 266Mhz FSB, then you need to set a divider for that in your BIOS.

BTW, what's OCZ 2GB "88R2 800"? :p

Ya I need to change my sig, its a typo and its not even the ram I have. I have G.SKILL DDR2 800 4-4-4-12.

As for the cpu, which I haven't overclocked, thats kinda stupid but smart at the same time.

Now with the RAM, how do I set up that divider to run my ram at true DDR2 800 speeds?

Oh and that four grand includes the lcd monitor, keyboard, mouse, DVD, and Windows, so that jacked up the price a bit. It was an expensive computer though but I have no regrets and I love it. So please don't get into that issue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom