News: Power Supply Failure rate stastics from French e-commerce site

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckliss

Daemon Poster
Source: http://www.behardware.com/news/8550/power-supply-failure-rate.html

Text:

Today, we obtained the failure rate of power supplies recorded by a major French e-commerce. These statistics include products in shops since the first April 2006.A minimum if at least 100 units have been sold. Statistics per brand are based on a minimum sample of 500 units:

Fortron: 0.7%
Hiper: 1.2%
Seasonic: 1.4%
Thermaltake: 1.6%
Tagan: 2.8%
Enermax: 3.0%
Antec: 9.5%

Fortron comes first in the list followed by Hiper and Seasonic. Thermaltake is next and is the last manufacturer to have an acceptable failure rate. Tagan, Enermax and most of all Antec are above the limit. For Antec the entire power supply range has very high failure rates: 21.6%, 18.1% and 17.3% for the Antec SmartPower 2.0 500, 350 and 400 Watts. Not a single product has a rate below 2% and the best one is the Neo HE 430 watts at 2.6%.

For Fortron, the figures are a bit more disparate from 0% for the most reliable model to 1.5% for the "least" reliable. Hiper's rates oscillate from 0.4% and 3.8%. The two models above 2% are the modular R 580 watts. For Seasonic, the leading products S12-500 and 600 are respectively at 1.8% and 0.9%.

Thermaltake's rates vary from 0% to 2.5% except for the Silent Power 680 Watts which is at 6.6%. Tagan's figures are relatively stable from 2.3% to 3.3%. Finally, Enermax' rates oscillate from 1.8 to 5.1% (Liberty EL620AWT).

Nice find....I got the Fortron 400W, and the HIPER 580W....both work great.

Wow that's a little odd, good info though. Good thing I just bought a Hiper :) You'd think antec and Tagan would have better reports with how popular they are.

I was considering getting one of the OCZ PSUs but I liked the idea of modular a lot so I decided to go with the Hiper. Were any other companies listed on that or just those ones?

Lets not forget about this. The more products you sell the higher the rate is gonna be since there is more reporting of them failing. The lower the sell the fewer reporting. Get what i'm saying?

your forgetting that the more you sell, the more that wont fail.

If they said that antec reported 2000 failures while fortron reported 35 then you could argue that antec sold more and thus the numbers were irrelevant, however because they are based on percentage of product sold versus percentage of product sold that failed, this is not an issue.

Think before you speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom