TFT monitor to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrantic

In Runtime
I currently have a 17" 4:3 TFT Dell monitor which is doing an okay job if not for the fact that its small size is straining my eyes. I'd like a bigger (and better) monitor.

On my desk I have enough horizontal space but right above my monitor there's a shelf so I don't think a 19" or bigger TFT with normal ratio would fit. That's why I want to go widescreen; more screen and less height. I believe a 19" normal is at least as high as a 20" widescreen, or a 17" is as high as a 19" widescreen, I've seen a chart for this but I can't find it...

Anyway, these would be the demands;

- Cheap (my budget is high but I don't want to spend much on a trivial upgrade, so I'm looking at $150-250 with flexibility)

- Widescreen 19" or 20" (don't think anything bigger would fit). I've read somewhere that most 19" TFTs have the same native resolution as 17" screens. I do not want my screen size to be stretched like that. If all 19" are stretched 17" then I want 20". Native resolution preferrably above 1k x 1k

- Low response time. I'm not that extreme on wanting the lowest response time, but I'll be doing a fair bit of gaming on it and I don't want it to bother me.

- Adequate colours, contrasts etc. Now and then I do some graphical work and I want it to be able to display a wide range of tones, shades and tints. Again, nothing extreme, just good display.

My videocard has DVI-I so I could handle a monitor with DVI connection. I don't really care too much about looks, brand, contrast, brightness, and viewing angle.

EDIT: Here's a good retailer from Holland (where I live). I get a discount there so getting a screen from them is favourable. :p Click!

I wouldn't get any further without a base to be honest... I still want the screen to be on the same height due to the height of my desk and my chair. So I'd end up mounting it as high as it would be on a base.

talldude123, I cannot find that Hanns-G monitor at any Dutch retailer, I can't order from newegg so that's a problem. And it doesn't look like the model you supplied matches any of the models on the site I gave (but like I said I can't find them on any Dutch site)

I've decided to forget about 20"+ because of the price and 17" wouldn't be worth upgrading (I currently have a 17" normal ratio, but it'll go to my sister's room).

But thanks for the recommendations.

Get the LG. Their monitors are very crisp in color, have really good response time/contrast ratio, and have a really good warranty.

Apokalipse said:
don't make your monitor fit the desk, make your desk fit the monitor.
shelves can be moved higher, or even removed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824252006R

or if you must have a smaller monitor, you can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824252009

^ very slim borders on that one.
Well you see, the one I have is just about as much desk as I can get in my room (very cramped here, I have a wall in front of me, a wall to the right of me, my bed behind me and my tv table to the left). The shelf is part of the desk structure and can only be mounted so high.

Chimei is a very expensive import brand here, I can only find a handful of them and they are ridiculously overpriced (as a reference, the second 19" monitor you linked would cost me $389).

Apokalipse said:
don't make your monitor fit the desk, make your desk fit the monitor.
shelves can be moved higher, or even removed.

Excellent advice. My mom didn't understand this when I made her get the 24" iMac over the 20 incher. She kept saying that it wouldn't fit in her desk. I told her "Don't get the computer based on the size of the desk, get the desk based on the size of the computer." and that shut her up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom