PSU question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

venividivici

Solid State Member
Recently I tried installing an ATI Radeon X1800xt 512mb video card in an HP media centre TV PC. What I didn't realize was that the PSU in the computer was a crappy 300w. I blew the fan in the PSU, however everything else still works fine.

My question is what should I look at getting watt wise on a PSU? I have a 450w in an old computer that I could grab, however I am not sure if that would be sufficient.

I would like to be able to use the video card now for the interim until I can get a new PSU. So would the 450w PSU suffice to allow me to use the card?

CPU: Intel C2D E6300 1.86ghz
RAM: 2gb PC4200 DDR2

The mobo is an ASUS, not sure of model.

The computer itself is an HP Pavilion Media Centre TV PC model M7650N.

I need the video card in order to have WoW: tBC run smoothly, so I am sort of desparate at the moment.

Depends on the amps on the +12v rails. Can you tell us, the brand and model of your PSU?

I appreciate the response, however I was able to find out by actually trying it out that it was not powerful enough as the computer would seem to boot up or at least power up, but nothing would appear on the screen.

So I have just decided to return the premade hunk of junk and build my new rig as I had intended to but just got impatient.

Ordered all the parts yesterday, hopefully they should arrive sometime this week. Only glitch is that the case I wanted was out of stock so who knows how long before they will be able to get that.

The PSU though was a High Power by Sirtec...someone on another computer forum said they website looked like it was "designed liked a high school student project", and that it was misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom