Folding @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
psssh.... get the CPU console client folding on your PC when you sleep.... or when you are at work and/or school... thats what I do. I fold on the GPU when I am not using the computer... I ONLY use the gaming rig to game, and I do everything else on the Media rig, which runs the CPU client 100% of the time it is up and logged in.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
psssh.... get the CPU console client folding on your PC when you sleep.... or when you are at work and/or school... thats what I do. I fold on the GPU when I am not using the computer... I ONLY use the gaming rig to game, and I do everything else on the Media rig, which runs the CPU client 100% of the time it is up and logged in.

Mine should fold just as good as yours. I have 3MB/s internet and same specs minus the video card. And Video card isn't needed to fold.

Shumway said:
I'll finally have my old sempron up and running soon,Just have to finish adding some fan hole's to my case and put her back to gether,I'll be letting that one run 24/7.

Time to get the old girl running! :D

Wish my old Celeron was still alive, but it started smoking, and...kaboom. The PSU failed, and the processor is no more.

talldude123 said:
Mine should fold just as good as yours. I have 3MB/s internet and same specs minus the video card. And Video card isn't needed to fold.

The video card IS needed for the GPU client, which is what I run on my gaming PC.... to put things in perspective....

My GPU client finishes a work unit in roughly 16 hours at stock clocking.... my CPU client on the same machine would take 48-60 hours to do the same.... anyone with an ATi x1xxx card should be able to run the GPU client... I know that (pretty much all) the x1800-x1950's are able to run it, and I think the x1650 can too... not positive, you would have to check at the folding @ home forums, GPU section.

Well, in other news, I am back down to 2 PC's folding... my media rig is shot for the time being.... (See sig). The video card MAY have bit the dust, but I HOPE not, cause I want my TiVo rig back... lol. I have a SINGLE spare AGP card to try out when I get home today. I spent 2 hours last night cleaning out the GPU heat sink with a Q-tip, and also the CPU heatsink... I have been a bad person, WAAAAAAAY too much dust in there... lol. I put some AS5 on the CPU heatsink, so HOPEFULLY that helps the CPU, now I just have to do the same with the GPU later today probably. I am fairly certain it is a heat issue, since it is the same thing my NES did back in the day where everything was all jumbled up. Like watching HBO on a TV without a cable box.. lol

More to follow later.

HOOORRAY !!! My media rig is successfully up and folding once again. The trouble was that my ATI AIW card was overheating. I threw an AGP ATI Rage Pro 3D 128 something or other, and it started up fine... so I took out the AIW card, carefully took off the heatsink, cleaned it, and slathered on some AS5, and put it back.

Let me tell you.... doing that to a GPU can seem pretty intimidating... but, since I thought the card was toast anyways, I wasn't worried about fudging it up, and GOOD THING too... it was SOOOO easy to do, and took literally minutes to do... SITTING ON THE COUCH... lol

Anyways... thats my 3rd post in a row... do I have a turkey now? [insert animated turkey graphic here]

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Anyways... thats my 3rd post in a row... do I have a turkey now? [insert animated turkey graphic here]
arg-turkey-gobble-gobble-gobble-bg-.gif

Ugh.... Apok... I was so going for a 300 game... lol

ANYWAYS... Stupid ATi AIW card is flaking out again. I am thinking of just sticking an old POS card in there for the time being and then having an excuse to pick up a nice Hauppage dual tuner card.... shh.. don't tell.. lol

At least with the POS GPU the rig can fold again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom