E6300
1Gig Corsair XMS2 DDR800
Sapphire x1900GT
GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 G965

System 2:
AMD X2 4200+ S939
Sapphire X1950XT
MSI Neo4-F, or any other budget overclocking board

I've got everything else needed for system 2, just wondering which one of these would give better performance gaming wise if overclocked to the max. The first though, is about $100 more expensive, which is an issue..

if the hundred bucks is an issue, go with the second.
though if you plan on overclocking a lot i would suggest an opteron 165.
you will get better results out of it, plus i think it is a little less than the 4200.
either one of those cpu's is fantastic for what they cost now.
if you can scrounge up 100 dollars, you will be able to push that 6300 way farther than an opty or a 4200.

Ah, I forgot one thing. How far do you think I can push the with value ram? Will I get better results with the 165 or 4200+ using a divider?

If you like overclocking go with the Core 2 Duo E4300. It has a 9x multiplier and starts off at a 800FSB, so if you get DDR2-800 you could get it to 3.6ghz with no memory divider and have stock memory settings.

^^agree with ridlyn^^
okay, as far as value ram goes, i dont know.
i have corsair xms and i run stock timings and overclock it to about 420mhz for my everyday usage.
as far as TOTAL overclock, you will be able to get more out of the 165, i.e. you will probably be able to get it to 2.7ish from stock 1.8ghz.
the 4200 you will not be able to go past 2.7-2.8 with that ram using a divider even. plus i just don't think a 4200 will boot past 2.9+, at least i have never been able to make mine do it.
as ridlyn says above the c2d can clock to 3+ without having to use a divider. so, if you have the money and really want to overclock, c2d is the way to go.
the amd's will give you great results, but if you are wanting to go extreme you would be better off with a c2d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom