ovrclck noob seeks experienced same

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessehclark

Baseband Member
first time OC please help im not stupid

ok, this is my first time overclocking and building my own pc. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable, but some things have me really confused. let's start with my specs.

antec p180 case
m2n-sli deluxe mobo (heatpipe no fan)
x2 4200+ 2.2ghz, am2 89w
arctic cooling freezer 64 w/ as5
1gb ddr2800 ram (pqi turbo)
250gb WD caviar HD
liteon dvdrw w/ lightscribe
xfx 7900gs 525m extreme
thermaltake purepower 600W sli

when i check cpu and mb temps via asus bios, im seeing, at thier lowest, 53c cpu and 32 mb. I overclocked some (11x, 245, 1.4375/1.45v) and the system seemed stable, but a little over a day later i blue screened. i immediately checked bios and cpu temp read 67c cpu 37 mb, but they quickly dropped to around 55c/32c. I wish i had a windows temp monitor, but i am running vista x64 and cant find one that works.

so, im wondering.. even when i had FIRST installed everything and i was running xp, the lowest temps i saw were around 53c on the cpu according to the bios. i thought max temp was 65 for these processors and normal idle was 30-40c. could bios be reversing the temps? are they off? how can i tell, and what could be causing these temps at idle/stock?

ps- my cables are all neatly tucked away and I have 2 120mm fans running full speed in addition to the heatsink's fan blasting away. they are all oriented correctly. system seems stable but 55c seemed hot to me, and i know i should be able to overclock to 2.6 or 2.7 without those kinds of temps.

also- to the touch ( i was careful) the heatsink and block underneath feel cool or warm to the touch. i got a tiny bit of as5 on my finger that baaarely sqeezed out so i know i was touching the right part. def. didnt feel like 55c.

okay.
first, when you say it "seemed stable", i take it to mean you did not run stability programs after you overclocked it?
if not, shame on you, that was a mistake.
your mobo temp is acceptable, i don't think they are reversed.
the max temp for a 4200 (before it smokes anyways lol) is 95*C.
as in absolutely do not go higher than this, or you will not have a cpu any longer.
load temps over 55-60C are considered high by most.
indeed though, if you are idling at 53* you have a problem. that means under load you are ohmygodidontwanttoeventellyou. my rig idles at 32-35, straight outta bios. and i have a zalman.
problems could be:
your hsf is not seated correctly. i would try this first, and it's probably whats wrong. so re-seat it.
you didn't apply your as5 correctly, you need to re-do it when you remove your hsf.
you have an inaccurate mobo sensor.
you have issues with psu, i.e. its f***** up.
you have a bad mobo.
you have a bad cpu.
oaky, you have maxed out that cpu as far as overclock goes.
if you get it to boot past 2.9ish, i wanna see it.
2.7 is about as far as it will run efficiently. after that, the temps don't make the payoff as far as performance. really i find that mine runs best at around 2.55-2.6.
you will have mad hot temps with a 1.45v overclock, your looking at high 50's, no doubt.
you may be able to boot 2.7 at 1.4, but it probably aint gonna be stable. i suggest running at 2.5+, that way your cpu voltage can stay down to 1.375/1.4 no prob.
and that's if evrything is set up correctly.
lemme know how things turn out when you redo the hsf.

OK so lets see:

I was planning on sticking at around 2.6/1.4, but id take 2.7/1.45 if my temps will stay down. I have spoken to several people (that i trust) who have a 4200 or 3800 with a freezer 64 pro, and they have been able to run 2.7/1.45 without dangerous temps... high, but no higher than my IDLE. lol...55 aint that bad... FOR LOAD.

And no, i didnt run stability tests... I have had some trouble getting ANYTHING to run on vista since the drivers are so limited. but i was trying...lol... i did however push it a little- ran some games, etc... and it consistently shut down around 67c (according to cpu temp via bios). I thought that was the max temp for these, and 95c or so was for the single cores?

Anyways, either way, i should be idling 30-40, load 50 or a little over. this is ridiculous.

hmmm..i will try reseating the heatsink..i was a little iffy about that the first time, ill clean off the as5 real well and all... i dont think the psu is bad, all the voltages seem fine.

hmm about the sensor... if the sensor was bad... meaning, it thinks im at 67* when im really at 57*, for example, would THAT make my computer blue screen, or would it BS regardless of the temp sensor? getting a final answer on the am2 x2's temp limits would help.. (im googling). http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

they list max case temp at 70c. that would mesh with my experience.

i think the sensor is right, the psu is fine, the cpu is fine, the mobo is fine. im putting my money on my poor installation... check back later...

reinstall results

ok, so i removed my heatsink, cleaned the cpu and the heatsink, reapplied a niiiice thin layer of as5 to the die, and put everything back together. I noticed that the heatsink seems to be sitting just a little low on the die - its completely ON it, but a small portion at the 'top' is not covered by heatsink... but there is definitely good, even contact. it looks just like the instruction manual's install pic.

i booted up (after having my case open for an hour AND my window open (its 50F outside here)) and i got idle temp of 50c which quickly rose to 55. im showing literally NO activity on the cpu most of the time, and idle temps still hover around there.

m/b at 27c.

grrrrr...... any other troublshooting ideas?

XX1) bad heatsink?XX
2) bad sensor?
3)mad mobo?
4) bad cpu?
5) bad psu?

how do i check these other things?

also, any word an a Vista x64 compatible temp monitor? theres gotta be a "gadget"...

thanks for all the help!

-Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom