backing up my emails in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordief

Baseband Member
All my emails have been created in WinMe.
Now that my new computer runs XPpro how can I import these old folders?Of course I have them stored as dbx files but there seems to be no equivalent files in XP.
With Win95.Win98 and WinME it was more or less a case of overwriting the new folders with old ones when you upgraded from one OS to the next but XP seems like it is a bit different.Perhaps these files are noe encrypted???

you must specify which program you are using, but i assume you are using outlook express. i have been able to do this with outlook express. all of the emails should be in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{RANDOM NUMBER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

on the new system, setup an identity in Outlook express, wipe the folders clean and then import your old files into the new folder on your hdd.

thanks for your help
I was looking for that folder but as the location wasn't exactly the same as in the earlier Windows versions I was afraid they had done a revamp.
(I tested this by maming a new folder with an easily identifiable name and searching for it.As the result was negative I thought maybe I was right and that folder was no longer used in XP)
I will check again later today when I plug in the new computer.

infinity111 said:
on the new system, setup an identity in Outlook express, wipe the folders clean and then import your old files into the new folder on your hdd. [/B]
I am on top of it all now.I had to specify *show hidden folders*

Mind you I find I always need to do one folder at a time .In fact I have oi go through a whole routine of creating a new folder in OE,giving it a file, shutting down OE,copying and pasting the relevant dbx folder and reopening OE to start on a subsequent folder.As I don't do it very often I put up with it.I think I tried your clean wipe method at first and it didn't work for me .Sounds a lot simpler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom