RivaTuner, a 7800GTX, and no fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
Sorry if this topic has already been posted a plethora of times over the last couple years. All of the posts I have found are dated back in 2004 or 2005 and I wanted some fresh info on this.

I can't control the fan on my video card, a BFG 7800 GTX OC 256Mb, and haven't been able to since I got the card when it came out. I replaced the stock cooler with the Arctic Cooling cooler (5 rev.3). Recently I put the stock cooler back on to see if maybe the Arctic Cooling cooler was the culprit. The stock cooler that came with mine is different than any I've seen on any of the same model. It is clear with a copper heatsinc, and a blue LED. The reason I thought going back to this cooler might help is because there is some kind of sensor that I can see that is near the end of the exhaust.

Regardless of which cooler it is, the bottom line is I have no control over the speed of the fan, and since every other fan in my case is no louder than the drop of a pin, I want to figure out how to do this.

I have the most recent BIOS updates, I have the latest drivers, nTune, and nVid Monitor from nVidia, I have the most recent release of RivaTuner and SpeedFan.

In about 10 different programs I am able to see what the speed of the fan is, but there is nothing I can do that will change the speed short of splicing the line with a control nob. I am able to change the percentage all over the place, but regardless if I am at 0%, 15%, or 100%, and regardless if I am typing an email or playing NFS Carbon with the graphics maxed out, the fan rpm does not budge from 4900-5000 rpms (which RivaTuner tells me is 41%).

Let me know if there are any other variables you need to know in order to give your best guess at a solution.

Oh, and my GPU is not overclocked beyond the factory overclock.

Thanks!

Random SideNote: Why the heck are the BFG 7800 GTX's still priced at the price they were out when they were released, $500ish, but a newer, better, 7950 GTX for example, is the same price (or cheaper!!). This makes wanting to get another one for SLI very difficult to stomach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom