first pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTATICO7

Baseband Member
I have nearly chosen all of the components for my first pc build. Please tell me what you think and tell me if anything wont work or if there is anything else i need to know about these parts. Thanks.

Case
Thermaltake Soprano Midi Tower Case- (Black, "X" type transparent window panel, 430w PSU, Dual 12cm and single) - RRP$135.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/16134

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 945PL- (ATX, FSB800, PCIE16, DUALDDR2, SATA2, GbELAN, Virtual Dual Bios) - RRP$135.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/20127

Monitor
AOC 193FW+ 19" Widescreen LCD (1440x900, Slim bezel, 5ms Response, 800:1 Contrast, DVI) – RRP$299.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/21300

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 541 64bit- (3.2Ghz/PRESCOTT/1MB/800 FSB/0.09u/LGA775/HT/Execute Disable Bit/EM64T/Intel Speedstep) - BX80547PG3200EK – RRP$159.00AU *On Special
scorptec.com.au/product/15771

Hard Drive
Samsung HD401LJ SpinPoint- (400GB, 16MB CACHE, SATAII/300, 7200RPM, NCQ, NoiseGuard, ImpacGuard, SilentSeek) - RRP$199.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/21170

RAM?

Operating System
Microsoft N09-02142 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition- (SP2B OEM 1 Pack with Vista Upgrade Coupon) – RRP$140.00AU *on special
scorptec.com.au/product/20857

DVD Drive
LG GSA-H10NBBK (16xDVD+-RW/5xDVD-RAM/6x Dual Layer – Black) – RRP$49.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/20153

TV Tuner
AVerMedia TV Go 007 PLUS- (Internal (PCI) TV tuner, Analog, video capture and video conferencing, with FM Radio Tuner, Remote Control) - RRP$60.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/19438

Graphics Card
Hightech ATI Radeon X1650- (Pro IceQ 256MB 128-bit DDR2, Dual Link DVI, TV Out, HDTV, PCI Express X16 interface) – RRP$175.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/20507

LED Light
Blue Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp with On/Off Switch and Sound sensor- RRP$15.00AU *On Special
scorptec.com.au/product/4235

Anti-Static Wristband
(Anti Static Wrist Strap BM-102B) – RRP$9.00AU
scorptec.com.au/product/1378

Speakers
(Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers 70watts) –
RRP$95.00AU *on special
scorptec.com.au/product/12682

Why not go with a Core 2 Duo. They are about $188 at Newegg. Is it a budget issue?

Regards,

DeeJay

as for RAM, look for something dependable; Don't cheap out on ram. Good names are Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, etc.

Also, do not use that PSU that comes with the case, you will most likely have power issues. Make sure to get a very dependable PSU as well.

Go with an Antec power supply at least, They make good power supplies. The PSU is one thing you can't skimp out on. Also why did you choose to go P4? It may be 3.2GHz but that doesn't mean it's top of the line. You may want to look into the core 2 duos, or maybe even AMDs socket 939 processors if you're on a tight budget. You don't really need an anti static wristband either, You're safe as long as you keep yourself grounded. I like the idea of the cathodes dancing with your music haha, I've thought about getting those setup myself.

Would I be better off to buy a core 2 duo 2.0GHz rather than a P4 3.2Ghz? Which one would be faster?

I can see that you are an Aussie and that you are buying from Scorptec in Clayton. I suggest that you take a look at MSY, which is literally around the corner from Scorptec and they have really low prices. I'm buying most of my parts from there. They have a pretty poor website, but have a look at their PDF price list.
For example, Scorptec have the Logitech X-530 5.1 "on special" for $95, while MSY's normal price is $89.

I bought the same case, but without the PSU, and put an Antec TruePower 2.0 550W in it. I wouldn't trust a Power Supply that comes with the case.

Yes, the Core 2 Duo is much faster than the P4. Don't be fooled by the higher clock rate.

What is your budget by the way?

I actually live in NSW and scorptec had the best prices i could find on the net. I will look into that other place but I have heard that scorptec are good with online orders. My price budget is $1500 not including freight. I also wont be buying the parts for a couple of months. I might decide to buy a core duo if they are on special soon. Thanks

Once you go dual core, you will never go back. Besides the increase in speed, the multitasking ability is great.

Regards,

DeeJay

M733mhz said:
You don't really need an anti static wristband either, You're safe as long as you keep yourself grounded.

Don't listen to him.. get the static band. It is much better. think about it... spending like $5 on a band or having to pay shipping to RMA your hardware cause some how its dead. Just cause you don't always feel static electricity it don't mean its not there.

I also think your better off going with the C2D and just trash the P4. As stated above the GHZ don't matter. Its the clock cycles. I would sit and explain them to you however I'm having troubles coming up with the right words to use at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom