Building a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the USB ports and FireWire and mic/headphone jacks on the top of my case need PCI cards to connect them to our what needs to be done to make them work?

EDIT* This is my new list of hardware:
CPU
Case
Mother Board
PSU
Video Card
Hard Drive
Total Price: $1,048

I will be getting memory, CD-ROM, and a Floppy Drive at a store or online. Is this all of the equipment that I need? I will be getting a monitor and keyboard and stuff at a later time because I do not have enough money for them. I will be using an old Win98 monitor and keyboard for a little while. Also, I will be putting Linux on the computer and eventually Slackware Linux. So I don't expect anyone to make sure that it is Slackware compatible, I am sure that everything is but if anyone sees something that they know isn't please post what it is. Thank you.

The USB ports, Firewire, and mic/headphone jacks don't need a PCI card to connect. They all connect to the motherboard. Your motherboard manual will explain all that. Everything looks good. The video card link, is linked to the power supply, by the way. I assume it's the X1600 PRO, right? I suggest this one, for just $20 more, and rebate will make it the same price as the X1600 PRO. It is far better than the X1600 PRO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130073

I was wondering, what is south and north bridge? I know that each one just gives power or runs or whatever the different hardware. But what does it mean when they say
North Bridge Intel 975X
South Bridge Intel ICH7R
?

The northbridge is like the communication center for the CPU, RAM, graphic card, and the southbridge. The southbridge, mostly handles everything else...communicating with the PCI cards, sound, hard drives, etc...

Yes I understand that but when it says North Bridge Intel - 975X and South Bridge Intel - ICH7R, what does that mean? (the ICH7R and 975X)

EDIT* Can't seem to find a good CD drive. Does anyone know of one on neweggs.com that is a CD/DVD ROM, Burner, and R/RW?

The link takes me to my wishlist, lol. What you should do, is send the link to your email, then link it from there. The Intel 975X, is a northbridge chipset model that, supports crossfire and the core 2 duo processors. Not sure about the ICH7R. Did you want a CD/DVD burner or just a CD/DVD drive. Heres a good SATA CD/DVD burner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106046

I meant to link you to the wishlist because it has all the links to the hardware. Will a DVD/CD burner also play CDs and DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom