VGA vs DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanych

Daemon Poster
I have just purchased a new Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen LCD TFT monitor. This monitor supports VGA and DVI. I currently have it plugged into DVI but may I ask what difference would it make if it was plugged into VGA.

Would I notice a image quality decrease or something. And also is TFT LCD better than just LCD?

DVI has slightly better quality and can support higher resolutions. It can also display more colors depending on the screen and graphics card.

TFT is just the type of LCD panel.

DVI isn't really better picture quality. You won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Almost everyscreen you can buy is TFT.

The big difference is in matrices.

TN panels usually have a faster response time while IPS have better color quality and viewing angles.

b1gapl said:
DVI isn't really better picture quality. You won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Then whats the point of having it besides being digital. Does it being digital do anything all?

gmanych said:
Then whats the point of having it besides being digital. Does it being digital do anything all?

For professional use, there is a bigger difference. Accurate color, sharpness, and higher resolutions are a must.

For normal home use, you could most likely careless. DVI is much better but it will not make consumer monitor much better since most of the features aren't even being used.

b1gapl said:

wrong, wrong, wrong.....totally misinformed here...buy a monitor with both and try it...(you will especially notice it with text clarity)
then again some people aren't fussy and may not notice and use 800x600 resolutions etc....

Am i the only one who can use google?

"How does DVI work?

To understand how DVI works we must first understand how a PC creates and transmits a video signal. PC's create digital signals (0's and 1's)

Many people are now moving up from old style CRT technology to small and nice looking LCD monitors. One thing they may not know is that although all LCDs are digital, not all LCD monitors have a DVI connection. Without a DVI connection image quality is diminished because the video card on your PC has to turn the signals into analog and the LCD has to convert them back to digital when it receives them. (An LCD monitor without a direct DVI connection still has a graphics interpreter in the monitor itself to convert those analog signals back into digital.) In basic terms that 1 could end up looking like either a 0.935 or 1.062 to an LCD monitor, no difference in image quality yet you spent all that money on a good flat panel LCD. What a waste, huh?

This is where DVI comes in. Most video cards now-a-days have DVI ports built into them as well as the normal VGA connection. This is where I explain the usefulness of them. It makes no sense to convert digital signals into analog just to be forced to convert it back to digital form once more at the display. The loss of image quality between non-DVI LCD's and DVI LCD's is minimal at lower resolutions, but at higher ones, you'll start to notice quickly. DVI allows this loss to be virtually non-existent. There are many different ways to implement the DVI specification too, all the way from just buying an LCD with DVI or implementing the cables into your system set up."

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/dvifig3large.jpg

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/dvifig4large.jpg

well i am confused. 1 person tells me it makes no difference and 1 other person says that it does. Which one is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom