I need a good graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a beast of a build which cost £1500 but i tried dell and customise to the closest parts (whole system was a downgrade to the one i built) it came to £2400 so saved me quite alot to make it myself and i also got the knowledge and a more powerful parts.

Matt

Nukem said:
1,500.00 GBP = 2,961.90 USD (build)

2,400.00 GBP = 4,739.16 USD (buy)

Wow that is a lot of cash. I had better start saving.

Sometimes I wish people still used a barter system. It would help me out a lot if I could give them SOME cash and then for the rest of the balance, pay with other stuff. Like I have some baseball cards from when I was a child and I could even throw in the pc I'm currently using.

But as Mr. Dylan himself said, times are a changin.

You would probably be able to get a system that runs those games with decent settings for 1200 canadian dollars I my self am buying a new computer and I found the best way to research is to start with all the parts and ask and look at reviews.

The new intel processers are amazing but expensive as it sounds like you dont have alot of money to spare i would go with a AMD Athlon AM2 processor as they are usually much cheaper but do not give you the same performance.
My friend just bought a pretty sweet setup
Here are the stats as far as I know:
Processor
AMD Athlon64 AM2 2.0 GHz
Ram two Gigs of Geil pc6400 800mhz 4-4-4-15
430 watt extreme coolermaster PSU
Aspire X-discovery case(lights:)
250g hard drive 7200RPM Sata2
Motherboard?
I would get one with at least one PCI-E as all good video cards play on PCI-E (they go twice as fast as aGP cards)
Nvidia 7600GT decent card but at the rate games are coming up I would spend an extra $30-$50 to get a 7900Gs

now the information iam giving you doesnt mean you rely on it i can alyways be wrong:) as i said reviews on the internet from reliable sites are helpful and reading forums aree definitly the way to go if you want to learn:)

The fact that CPU-Z doesn't show his Graphics Interface doesn't necesarily mean he doesn't any graphics slot - it could just be that CPU-Z lists only the interface in use, and he's on integrated graphics. I'd expect his motherboard to have at least an AGP slot.

Yes, the easiest way to know for sure is to look at the motherboard, but I guess Poon's experience is limited. Do you want to try it? We can explain you how AGP/PCIe slots look like (and show you some pics). That way you could learn a thing or two about motherboard components.

If, on the other hand, you want to keep it simple, you can download a slightly more complex utility with a more complete device listing. I'm sure the graphics slot will show up that way.

Up to you, Poon.

you do not need to buy a whole new system just get a new motherboard with the features your looking for and then transfer all your eqiopment to the new mobo.

you do not need to buy a whole new system just get a new motherboard with the features your looking for and then transfer all your eqiopment to the new mobo.

I don't even know what a motherboard looks like though! I would have to call Geek Squad for sure.

You would probably be able to get a system that runs those games with decent settings for 1200 canadian dollars I

Saint thank you so much for your information. How much US dollars is that? I still need to finish with my budget and see what I can spend.

f, on the other hand, you want to keep it simple, you can download a slightly more complex utility with a more complete device listing.

Thanks Meithan, I think I should try this method. I am way too nervous to open my pc. My hands are sweating now just thinking about it.

Alright. You can download PC Wizard here. Once it's installed, open it up and go to the Mainboard section (the second icon on the left panel, with a small computer case and an arrow). A list of feature should appear on the right, as shown on the following screenie:

pcwizard8lr.jpg

What we're looking for is either "Bus PCI-Express" or a mention to "AGP" (Accelerated Graphics Port). If you're not too sure, you can screenshot the PC Wizard window and I'll go through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom